Personal Message (PM) problem on this board?

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
Phonofolks
Victor I

Personal Message (PM) problem on this board?

Post by Phonofolks »

Is anyone having trouble sending PMs on this board? I was writing a PM to someone on this board today. I spent about 10 minutes writing it. After reading the message I then hit submit. (I did not hit the preview button before hand.) After I hit submit my message disappeared and I was back to the wrting mesasge screen. There was no notification that the message was sent. I hit the back button in hope to recover my material but it was gone. There was also nothing in my sent box. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a potential systems glitch?

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Personal Message (PM) problem on this board?

Post by larryh »

Your right I think in that there appears no way to retrieve the message if you accidently hit the wrong link.. I have lost several fairly long messages by accidently hitting one of the wrong links by accident. For one the amount of choices can be confusing.. I put up a photo that was the wrong one and when I hit what I thought was the clear for the photo the message went instead..

Larry

EFearing
Victor O
Personal Text: " If it dosen't have a crank, I can't operate it"

Post by EFearing »

Pardon my computer ignorance, but I have yet figured out how to even send a personal message to someone on this board. Any help would be appreciated Ed

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

EFearing wrote:Pardon my computer ignorance, but I have yet figured out how to even send a personal message to someone on this board. Any help would be appreciated Ed
At the bottom of each post, in the lower left-hand corner, you'll see three buttons. The center one is "PM" - Personal Message. Just click on it, type up your message, and hit "Submit" just as you would ma posting.

I've noticed that the "Edit" button doesn't always appear at the bottom of my postings. Sometimes yes, other times, no. If I misspell something, it never seems to appear!

George P.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I too have send PM's and I don't believe they went through either.

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

I've noticed that off and on for a couple of years, and not just at this forum, so what I've taken to doing is to write the message first in Notepad. Then I copy it from there, paste it into the personal message block on the forum, then click "send." That way, if it doesn't go through, I haven't lost my message. I can copy and paste again.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

No problems with PMs here, just sent one earlier and got a reply.

Sean

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Schmaltz wrote:I've noticed that off and on for a couple of years, and not just at this forum, so what I've taken to doing is to write the message first in Notepad. Then I copy it from there, paste it into the personal message block on the forum, then click "send." That way, if it doesn't go through, I haven't lost my message. I can copy and paste again.
The method I've used for years does not even require Notepad. I type the full message, then highlight it, then press Ctrl-C to copy the words to clipboard memory. If something later goes wrong that blanks out the field, I click on the field and then press Ctrl-V to paste in the words from clipboard memory.

EFearing
Victor O
Personal Text: " If it dosen't have a crank, I can't operate it"

Post by EFearing »

phonogfp wrote:
EFearing wrote:Pardon my computer ignorance, but I have yet figured out how to even send a personal message to someone on this board. Any help would be appreciated Ed
At the bottom of each post, in the lower left-hand corner, you'll see three buttons. The center one is "PM" - Personal Message. Just click on it, type up your message, and hit "Submit" just as you would ma posting.

I've noticed that the "Edit" button doesn't always appear at the bottom of my postings. Sometimes yes, other times, no. If I misspell something, it never seems to appear!

George P.

Thanks George, It worked fine. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. As I told my students when I was teaching and they would try and get me to try out the latest technology, "if it dosen't have a crank on it, I can't operate it!" Ed

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

VintageTechnologies wrote:
Schmaltz wrote:I've noticed that off and on for a couple of years, and not just at this forum, so what I've taken to doing is to write the message first in Notepad. Then I copy it from there, paste it into the personal message block on the forum, then click "send." That way, if it doesn't go through, I haven't lost my message. I can copy and paste again.
The method I've used for years does not even require Notepad. I type the full message, then highlight it, then press Ctrl-C to copy the words to clipboard memory. If something later goes wrong that blanks out the field, I click on the field and then press Ctrl-V to paste in the words from clipboard memory.
I noticed problems only recently both with PMs and regulat forum posts when it would sit forever and then come back "server not responding". I also started to copy to clipboard before submitting, but if you had pictures in your post these are gone as well. So it is still a big PITA and will hopefully be fixed again soon.
Andreas