Logged out whilst adding a post.

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
Ivor-Duncombe
Victor Jr

Logged out whilst adding a post.

Post by Ivor-Duncombe »

Good day,

Are you able to help me please? I am a relatively new member (User name Ivor-Duncombe).

A few minutes ago I submitted a posting that I had just saved and submitted. It was apparently ly accepted, but I was advised to log in. I logged in before I started writing my posting and did not (to the best of my knowledge log out). i logged in again but could not find the posting that I saved before submission. Would you be able to recover it for me and and post it for me?

The article took a while to write. It may be slightly contentious, but, from my personal experience, I believe that some of our members may, sooner or later, be pleased to have read it.

I have discovered that Molybdenum grease should definitely not be used to lubricate gramophone motor springs. Failure to heed this warning could result in expensive damage to prizes collectibles. In all fairness this posting should be made available to members of our forum. Whether they heed the warning or not I shall not pursue the matter any further.

I have Alzheimer's disease and it would be a huge relief not to have to retype my posting. Your help in finding what I saved will be most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Owen Campbell

Victor VI

Re: Logged out whilst adding a post.

Post by 52089 »

By any chance are you running Norton Internet Security? I have this and it did its monthly tracking cookie cleanup this afternoon, which meant I was suddenly logged out of many sites today without notice.

From past experience with timeouts on the board, when I have a long post, I make a point of doing a select all and copy before clicking the submit button. I know that doesn't help this time, but it might help next time.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Owen, I regret to inform you that there is no way to recover a post that has not been submitted. In the future, if something goes wrong, often you can hit the back button and at least copy the post text. I've done this on several occasions. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope you can find time to re-write your article. Perhaps write it in something like word first, then copy and paste to the forum, just to be safe.

Ivor-Duncombe
Victor Jr

Post by Ivor-Duncombe »

Many thanks to all who have responded for the prompt reply and helpful reminders and information. I had forgotten that my antivirus has given difficulty in the past, especially when I've taken too long with banking or investing. I have also been logged out of other sites for just taking too long. I am using BitDefender which is due for renewal in a few days time. Our family have been using BitDefender since 2010 and it has served us well. And I always promise myself to save as I go or to use Word and then copy the text into my posting when I'm ready to go.... I shall redo my very short article and submit it it immediately after logging in next time. I am enjoying being a part of your Talking Machine Forum very much.

Kind regards,

Owen.

Ivor-Duncombe
Victor Jr

Post by Ivor-Duncombe »

Hello HMV,

I had a quick look at your website and would like to monitor your progress. I think that you have some beautiful machines that are also very nicely presented.

One thing that raised a question in my mind was your Dulce-Tone Radio Talking Machine Speaker. I have since reconsidered what I wrote below. If the needle insert in the soundbox is used to effectively couple the Dulce-tone speaker to the diaphragm, then the gramophone will not be able to play a record and the only purpose of the Dulce-Tone could only be to drive the gramophone horn as a loudspeaker. This was not immediately obvious to me as a viewer of a single picture. So what I wrote below is probably incorrect, and if so, should be ignored.

Is this device really listed as a speaker? Why I ask is because I have been working on building a dynamic microphone into a soundbox to enable me to make electrical recordings of some of my 78s (of which I also have over 2000 ...... and sometimes wish I didn't! If I was to use a radio or my ipod to drive the modified soundbox then my gramophone horn would also serve as a loudspeaker horn. I think that it is also possible that your Dulce Tone Speaker may have also have provided the means of connecting one's gramophone to a valve (tube) radio - many of which had a "PU" (pick-up socket for this purpose. If one's radio was not fitted with a pick-up socket and the radio did not have a live chassis, then one could get the local radiotrician to fit a socket and a PU switch for this purpose. The pick-up socket was usually connected via a switch, to change over from "Radio" to "PU", to the volume control of the radio. It would be interesting to know whether your Dulce Tone speaker served 2 purposes?

Kind regards,

Owen.

Year Manufactured: c. 1920s
History: Manufactured by the Teagle Co. of Cleveland, OH, this adapter was meant to convert any phonograph into a radio speaker. One was to place the device on the turntable of any talking machine and set the sound box with a needle inserted into the V-shaped post in the center. The 2 leads were to be connected to a radio, and the post holding the needle would vibrate just as if there were a record playing, causing the sounds of the radio to play from the talking machine horn.