Very annoyed by signing up process

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
BenWA
Victor Jr

Very annoyed by signing up process

Post by BenWA »

I hate to start off my account here by complaining... but I am really annoyed with how hard the captcha was to read and interpret.

I actually messed up my account name for here because of it! I didn't WANT this account name here. It is one I use many places but not one I wanted to use here.

I was so annoyed with about a dozen failures at solving the captcha I ended up using autofill for the fields, not thinking about what username it was filling in and that was the one time I finally got the stupid captcha correct. It's so smudgy it's almost impossible to figure out.

Then it harasses you that you tried it too many times, try again later.

It took about a dozen tries over 4 different times I tried to sign up.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Very annoyed by signing up process

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Sorry that you had so many issues signing up. The captcha is in place to deter spammers, which were formally creating accounts by the dozens per hour.

I would be more than happy to change your username if you let me know what you would like it to be.

BenWA
Victor Jr

Post by BenWA »

You might want to look into the forum add-on "Stop Forum Spam". It does a good job of blocking most spam signups if configured properly. Being a forum admin myself, I am aware of how bad spam signups have gotten in recent years, but if the captcha is so distorted that actual people can't decipher it, it doesn't do the forum any favors.

I want my username to be: BenWA

Thank you.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Your username has been changed.