[PLEASE READ] A Note From the Administrator

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

[PLEASE READ] A Note From the Administrator

Post by HisMastersVoice »

It’s sad that I’ve reached the point where I need to write this, but something has to change. I’m talking about the nasty interactions, condescending attitudes, bickering, name calling, insults, and offensive comments that too many of you feel the need to post here. There have been several new members, and even a couple old members that have left because some of you can’t seem to interact with people in a positive way.

Enough.

This is supposed to be a fun place to share knowledge, make friends, and introduce new collectors to the hobby we all love. It should NOT be a place to feel the need to prove people wrong, or make others feel foolish for participating in the discussions here, even if you disagree with them or think a question is too “novice”. If a piece of information needs to be corrected, there are civil ways to do so.

I should not have to tell you what is right and what is wrong, or what not to post on a public forum. Quite frankly, I am embarrassed for some of you. It’s time to dust off the old social skills, and stop acting immature. Just because you have 37 hand wound Berliners, 5 Auxetophones, 9 Pooley VTLAs, and super rare Snobophone crafted from extinct Himalayan hardwood and powered by unicorn farts, doesn’t mean you can talk down to other people on this forum who might be happy with their VV-IV. It’s not what you have that matters; it’s your passion for the hobby.

The beauty of collecting phonographs is that there is something here for everyone, be it a derelict Victrola picked up from the curb for nothing and lovingly restored, or an Edison Idealia purchased from a high-end dealer. If you feel entitled to look down on someone based on their level of experience, or how many Class Ms they have in their collection, this is not the place for you.

Andersun
Victor III

Re: [PLEASE READ] A Note From the Administrator

Post by Andersun »

HisMastersVoice wrote: Just because you have 37 hand wound Berliners, 5 Auxetophones, 9 Pooley VTLAs, and super rare Snobophone crafted from extinct Himalayan hardwood and powered by unicorn farts, doesn’t mean you can talk down to other people on this forum who might be happy with their VV-IV.
Your message should be for all in the forum. I believe the above statement is not necessary and is a slam to the seasoned collectors. Just MHO.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I'm sorry to read this, but am happy to know that I missed the fireworks. I'll be sure to heed this as a reminder to be civil in my interactions and messages. :shock:

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Andersun wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote: Just because you have 37 hand wound Berliners, 5 Auxetophones, 9 Pooley VTLAs, and super rare Snobophone crafted from extinct Himalayan hardwood and powered by unicorn farts, doesn’t mean you can talk down to other people on this forum who might be happy with their VV-IV.
Your message should be for all in the forum. I believe the above statement is not necessary and is a slam to the seasoned collectors. Just MHO.
If that's what you got out of it, then you missed the entire point. It's not a slam against seasoned collectors, and I've already received multiple PMs from "seasoned collectors" in agreement with my message. You can be a seasoned collector without being arrogant. I'm sorry that you don't agree with the statement, but all I've done is call out the facts I've been presented with. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes that I deal with nearly every day in regards to this issue that I don't make public since I treat every PM I receive confidentially.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Even though it's sad that the above note had to be written, I fully agree. I've been collecting for over 25 years, and I will never belittle a fellow collector. We all started as novices at one time and asked questions and did things that seemed silly to seasoned collectors. However, they showed me what I did wrong in an encouraging, positive way. Always remember this: There is no such thing as a stupid question. I've seen some members with their holier than thou attitude, and despite their expansive knowledge,who belittle others, don't belong in this Forum. Like Brandon said, this Forum should be a fun, safe place where we can learn, pass knowledge, buy & sell, and kid around. Just my take on this.
Harvey Kravitz

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I agree totally - keep it pithy :)

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

A VERY long over-due statement! Props for Brandon for bringing this out in the open. In a closely related subject area, I discussed the notions of greed and dishonesty exhibited by MANY collectors. These character traits, as well as those discussed in the posting here by Brandon, go hand-in-hand. Following the thread that I started, you would have thought that I was the anti-Christ by reading some of the messages that I received. There were, however, many more messages that supported my statements. Like it ot not...this HAS become the face of the hobby. At every meet, tag sale, auction, forum, discussion, venue, etc that involves phonograph collectors, this is what you experience. And no...you do not have to go looking for it. Yes...there is good out there...there are some good folks out there who collect and deal in phonographs. Yet, it is the prevelence of the rudeness, and the greed, and the dishonesty, and the outright need to treat others like dirt that is, and will destroy this hobby.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Hailey wrote:A VERY long over-due statement! Props for Brandon for bringing this out in the open. In a closely related subject area, I discussed the notions of greed and dishonesty exhibited by MANY collectors. These character traits, as well as those discussed in the posting here by Brandon, go hand-in-hand. Following the thread that I started, you would have thought that I was the anti-Christ by reading some of the messages that I received. There were, however, many more messages that supported my statements. Like it ot not...this HAS become the face of the hobby. At every meet, tag sale, auction, forum, discussion, venue, etc that involves phonograph collectors, this is what you experience. And no...you do not have to go looking for it. Yes...there is good out there...there are some good folks out there who collect and deal in phonographs. Yet, it is the prevelence of the rudeness, and the greed, and the dishonesty, and the outright need to treat others like dirt that is, and will destroy this hobby.
I've basically been saying this for years. On several occasions, it has caused me to lose tremendous interest in the hobby as well. I've taken many "breaks" because of this too. I don't have the time or energy to be rude or greedy, it's draining on all counts. I've said it before many times, but it's worth repeating: a very close friend and record collector told me many years ago "when doing what you love becomes overshadowed by being competitive, greedy and a cheat to others, it's no longer a hobby, nor for most is it any longer fun". I agree.

Sean

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Thank you VERY much! I have been very disappointed by the attitude of a few collectors here, not least the way they have treated newbies. It has been to the point where I have hesitated to post something because of the anticipated response from one or two of the offenders.

I came here to learn and enjoy, and I usually do both. But it needed saying, and I am grateful that you did!

Nat

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Thank you, Brandon, for the fine job you've done here and for reminding us all that this is a hobby full of gratification and adventure. Lest we all for forget why we are here to begin with! :)

I would hope that also, we have skin that is not too thin. It's very difficult to understand the inflection of written comments sometimes and we have an incredibly diverse membership, often including people from all over the planet. Of this, I am grateful. I, for one, truly appreciate the views expressed here, but civility MUST be exercised by us, one and all.

That being said, if I have ever offended anyone here with any of my remarks, I apologize, it is unintentional and I am quite human. :oops:

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.