Post by Lucius1958 »

Well said.

Bill

phonolady
Victor I

Re: [PLEASE READ] A Note From the Administrator

Post by phonolady »

Brandon,
We agree with you 100%. Thank you for posting this and all your efforts in moderating this forum.

As others have said, we all are on here FOR THE LOVE OF PHONOGRAPHS.

Let's keep the hobby fun and growing.

Thanks, David & Lerria

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Brandon,

Thank you for the thoughtful words. I think everyone means well but forgets that the internet does not come with the subtleties of face to face communication.

My wife has to remind me on a regular basis that I am not as funny as I think I am so it takes effort to be civil and friendly, but that is the goal.

Bruce

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

This must be a more recent problem... as I have never gotten the impression that anyone was but gracious on this forum.

Most are - and very helpful as well.

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

Hear, hear. This is an excellent and helpful site, and most useful for people who have an interest in an innocent hobby. It is not the place for oneupmanship or bile.

Keep up the good work, Brandon. It is largely through your time and effort that so many people want to contribute.

Keith

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Indeed, thank you, Brandon for this post and especially for being a real moderator. Other forums disassembled themselves because of no interventions while others have alienated most of its members while being overstrict.

Although I haven't been around much in the past, I always found the TMF to be the most polite online place for phonographs. To me, this has not changed at all and I still have high hopes for it.

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

I know that this won't work and can't be done here, but a friend of mine posts on a German-based board where the rule is that members have to use their real names. The thought is that this prevents people from nasty remarks, trolling, etc. I, for one, would be glad to use my real name, and do so whenever possible. It's an effective way to keep myself acting like an adult!

Nat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Nat wrote:I know that this won't work and can't be done here, but a friend of mine posts on a German-based board where the rule is that members have to use their real names. The thought is that this prevents people from nasty remarks, trolling, etc. I, for one, would be glad to use my real name, and do so whenever possible. It's an effective way to keep myself acting like an adult!

Nat
I use my real name as well, but it doesn't help me to act like an adult...! :)

George P.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Bruce wrote:I think everyone means well but forgets that the internet does not come with the subtleties of face to face communication.
I think you hit the nail on the head here, Bruce. While there certainly are those who are simply rude human beings (I've had things snatched out of my hands at shows and auctions and other in-person unpleasantries), I think nearly all of us here are perfectly nice people in person. It's easy to get caught up in the literal nature of the written word, especially taking into consideration the memberships varying degrees of grammatical prowess. The smiley face icons help a little in distinguishing the intentions of a comment, especially when you are using sarcasm. When a comment might be interpreted either way, it doesn't hurt to throw in one of these. :D

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

HisMastersVoice wrote: While there certainly are those who are simply rude human beings (I've had things snatched out of my hands at shows and auctions and other in-person unpleasantries), I think nearly all of us here are perfectly nice people in person.
I wasn't aware that Vladimir Putin is also a member of the TMF and the larger antique phonograph community. Brandon, my guess is that it was he (in sunglasses, right?) who yanked some Berliner discs from your hands while shouting "These are state property of Crimea!!!"

Sorry--couldn't resist that tie-in with current events. ;)

ON a serious note, I'm glad to see (Brandon) that you are still willing to continue with your stewardship of the forum. You are a very mature and wise individual (apparently also very patient) and the vitality of this forum is all to your credit.

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.