Poll function does not work

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Poll function does not work

Post by Victor A »

Hey everyone,

I've recently encountered a problem. The poll function does not work. I've tried submitting a result, but I'm told that my submission was invalid. This has happened to several other people as well, and hopefully someone knows how to fix it, which would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Poll function does not work

Post by Retrograde »

The Poll function hasn't worked since 2012. However the owner continues to keep the domain name paid for and the servers running, so I'm willing to do without the extra functions.

Updated Date: 2014-12-19T23:22:31Z
Creation Date: 2007-12-18T03:50:08Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-12-18T03:50:08Z

We're good through 2019!

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Ah, I see. Well, I'm fairly new and had never done a poll, but that makes sense.

Thanks!
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Has anyone ever considered upgrading the forum to a newer version of phpBB? The current one is years old and I am quite sure in the new version everything would likely work. Not criticizing, just wondering.

Dan

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The moderator can comment about the current "situation", should he wish.

Sean

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I just found something quite interesting. I changed my "board style" to "prosilver" which makes everything kind of blue and silver. But, the poll works there. It might be something to consider. It does look quite a bit different, but everything is there and it seems to work better. "prosilver" is the default style for phpBB forums.

Dan

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Not sure, did your change just repair the whole forum? I did not change anything on mine, but the poll suddenly started working again. Could others please try as well?

Thanks
Andreas

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Andreas,

I suspect, though this is speculation, that the customized style (skin) of the forum was done for an earlier version of the phpBB software. It may no longer be compatible. I read on some of the phpBB forums that upgrading to the latest version does not support older customizations and only prosilver would be there after the upgrade. This could be an easy fix, though I don't know how easy it would be to get folks to change the style for themselves.

Dan

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

alang wrote:Not sure, did your change just repair the whole forum? I did not change anything on mine, but the poll suddenly started working again. Could others please try as well?

Thanks
Andreas

If it did fix it then it points to some type of file permission issue in the internals of the forum. Maybe posting a poll with the default style created something that that was missing that made it start working everywhere. I'm not a phpBB expert, just was looking for ways to figure out what might be wrong.

By the way, I really like the default style. It is very clean looking.

Dan

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I created a new poll under "anachronist" and it did not work. I then created a new poll under "prosilver" and it worked fine, as long s I stayed on "prosilver". Once I switched back to "anachronist", I was not able to submit responses.