Question for Brandon

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Question for Brandon

Post by JerryVan »

Brandon,

As was mentioned in another post, on this forum, searches such as "8-9", "8-30", "4-7", etc. produces zero results. Even adding the word "Credenza" or "Victor" to 8-30, (e.g. "Credenza 8-30"), produces no results. Not too handy for a phonograph forum. Is this a new development or has it always been like that?

Victor VI

Re: Question for Brandon

Post by 52089 »

IIRC, the search ignores anything that's 3 characters or less and considers a dash to be a separator, so "8-30" is treated as two short words that are ignored. Google's site search will work for this kind of search.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I will post my comment from the 4-7 thread here:
This is very annoying, yes. Especially when people constantly bark "use the search function!" This is a setting that can be changed in the phpBB code but I don't have file-level access to the forum. When searching for something like "4-7", the query ignores the dash and considered "4" and "7" to be "too common" and therefore no match in the database is made, even though it does exist.

Google is a great way to search the forum until this is fixed. Search engines are crawling this site constantly and new content usually shows up in google the same day. The google query for "4-7" would be this:

site:talkingmachine.info 4-7

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:ta ... e.info+4-7
This is standard out-of-the-box phpBB configuration, and has always been like this. I'd like to make the change here but I can't.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wasn't aware of the TMF Tech Support icon, even though it's been staring me in face since I began here. Thanks for moving my question Brandon.

As to my original question; no problem. Just wondered if anything could be done. Thanks for keeping everything rolling along so smoothly!

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Perhaps we could try searching by author, post time, and other specific things allowed in the search function to minimize the vagueness of the search.

I'd also like to thank Brandon for his great effort in helping us with this new, hip thing all the kids are calling the interwebs :lol:
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Victor A wrote:Perhaps we could try searching by author, post time, and other specific things allowed in the search function to minimize the vagueness of the search.

I'd also like to thank Brandon for his great effort in helping us with this new, hip thing all the kids are calling the interwebs :lol:
Unfortunately it will still discard the "simple" search terms even if you add search criteria like author.