Should Yankee Trader be split in half?

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
kendphono
Victor II

Should Yankee Trader be split in half?

Post by kendphono »

Over the last several months, there have been increasing numbers of cylinders and records being posted on the Yankee Trader. So many are being listed that it is getting harder to look for parts and machines. When they are listed, they are rapidly pushed to the second page and can be easily missed. I know there are a lot of record and cylinder collectors out there. Likewise there are a lot of people that are more interested in machines. I wonder if it would be better if Yankee Trader had two categories - one for records and cylinders and one for machines. This would make it easier for all collectors to find their interests.

What do you all think?

Ken Danckaert

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Should Yankee Trader be split in half?

Post by fran604g »

kendphono wrote:Over the last several months, there have been increasing numbers of cylinders and records being posted on the Yankee Trader. So many are being listed that it is getting harder to look for parts and machines. When they are listed, they are rapidly pushed to the second page and can be easily missed. I know there are a lot of record and cylinder collectors out there. Likewise there are a lot of people that are more interested in machines. I wonder if it would be better if Yankee Trader had two categories - one for records and cylinders and one for machines. This would make it easier for all collectors to find their interests.

What do you all think?

Ken Danckaert
I like this idea, of course I'm not the guy tasked with administration of this growing forum, either.

It would improve the section I think.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Here's another idea- I own a small startup collectibles venue with a couple partners- we're working out software issues now but should be sorted in a few months. I would be willing to open part of that up for TMF use as the Yankee Trader classifieds section- with a direct link when someone clicks on "Yankee Trader". We'd do a few percentage points commission at sale time on the honor system- no charge to list for TMF members only.

The advantages of this would be layout with items searchable by keyword as well as by seller's other items a la eBay and Etsy but without the BS.

Here's what we have now, but this software is sort of clunky for larger sellers as it's not compatible with any listing tools so we're working on a replacement using our testing site.
http://www.maplestreetmarket.com/

This might help us generate some traffic as well for our site. It would eliminate getting "bumped" off the first page constantly and would help eliminate some bandwidth for the TMF.

Just a thought.

Brandon, if you are lurking scratch your head over this idea.

What does everyone else here think?

Of course we'd need to develop an area for WTB and trade ads, but we could do that.
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Over the last several months, there have been increasing numbers of cylinders and records being posted on the Yankee Trader. So many are being listed that it is getting harder to look for parts and machines. When they are listed, they are rapidly pushed to the second page and can be easily missed. I know there are a lot of record and cylinder collectors out there. Likewise there are a lot of people that are more interested in machines. I wonder if it would be better if Yankee Trader had two categories - one for records and cylinders and one for machines. This would make it easier for all collectors to find their interests.

What do you all think?
I Like The Idea!

Bob S.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Zwebie wrote:

What do you all think?
I Like The Idea!

Bob S.

I agree.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

I think it's a great idea as well :)

Steven

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Nope.

I can’t even get everyone to use THIS yankee trader properly.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I think a strictly record page would be great in the Yankee Trader.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

I would like to see it split in this way, and perhaps even further. Yankee Trader moves so fast that Wanted ads get buried very very quickly. I'd like to see for sale and wanted split more than anything

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Again, sorry but no.