Junk PMs

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Junk PMs

Post by Orchorsol »

It's not exactly a problem (yet?) but I've had two unwanted/junk/scam PMs here on the forum, addressed just to "patrons" (not to me as such), from new members who have zero posts, purporting to enquire about getting repairs done. Presumably a number of other members have had them too. I can't believe these are genuine - I wouldn't have a clue how to PM multiple members at once, or PM someone without using their member ID, let alone a new member finding that facility straight away. What's going on? Can this be stopped?
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Junk PMs

Post by fran604g »

I've received at least 2 in the last month.

The first I advised the sender to create a post with his request, and to my knowledge did not. The 2nd, and any subsequent PMs from non active senders will be dismissed as suspect - treated just like the many sham/scam calls I receive on my landline and cellphone.

I have a hunch behind the scenes may not be as well watched or filtered as we had enjoyed in the past.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

fran604g wrote:I've received at least 2 in the last month.
Fran,

In both cases these were people messaging a group, a feature this forum code has had forever. Just because no-one ever used it (except perhaps Brandon when trying to insult me), does not make it new.
fran604g wrote:The first I advised the sender to create a post with his request, and to my knowledge did not. The 2nd, and any subsequent PMs from non active senders will be dismissed as suspect - treated just like the many sham/scam calls I receive on my landline and cellphone.
If anyone becomes a problem with private message spam, I’ll deal with it whenever someone comes to me with the issue.
fran604g wrote:I have a hunch behind the scenes may not be as well watched or filtered as we had enjoyed in the past.
If you feel this way, you’re welcome to your opinion, but there are no administrator settings for me to filter your PMs for you. Honestly, with as busy as I have been with other things, a bit more appreciation that I log in at least once per day to approve new members, review the moderation queue and try to reply to PMs would be nice. This isn’t my hobby, and the health and work situations that I have discussed in the past are ongoing.

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

MordEth wrote:
fran604g wrote:I've received at least 2 in the last month.
Fran,

In both cases these were people messaging a group, a feature this forum code has had forever. Just because no-one ever used it (except perhaps Brandon when trying to insult me), does not make it new.
fran604g wrote:The first I advised the sender to create a post with his request, and to my knowledge did not. The 2nd, and any subsequent PMs from non active senders will be dismissed as suspect - treated just like the many sham/scam calls I receive on my landline and cellphone.
If anyone becomes a problem with private message spam, I’ll deal with it whenever someone comes to me with the issue.
fran604g wrote:I have a hunch behind the scenes may not be as well watched or filtered as we had enjoyed in the past.
If you feel this way, you’re welcome to your opinion, but there are no administrator settings for me to filter your PMs for you. Honestly, with as busy as I have been with other things, a bit more appreciation that I log in at least once per day to approve new members, review the moderation queue and try to reply to PMs would be nice. This isn’t my hobby, and the health and work situations that I have discussed in the past are ongoing.

Regards,

David
Thank you David, for clearing up my concerns. It's just that I've never experienced this sort of thing before.

It's reassuring to know you're in the background, keeping an eye on things.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Unfortunately with spam, it’s really only possible to be reactionary. We filter new users by their responses to a few try-to-see-if-you’re-not-a-bot questions, but every now and then one might slip through even that, and have to get deleted after they post a few spam messages. Easy enough to deal with, not the end of the world if a couple of garbage posts survive for a few hours, in my opinion.

The issue that I’m more worried about is how to moderate member disagreements in an impartial manner.

If there’s ever any doubt, though, you can see when I was last online.

Regards,

David
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Many thanks indeed David, much appreciated.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have also received these PM's, which I treat as junk mail and delete. Annoying but not a serious problem. It seems that only "Patrons" have been targeted.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Now I feel silly. The first one included pics of the spring barrels and wanted tips on re-asssembly and installing the center shaft. Referred that one to our known qualified restorers for main spring work. The other purported to be local to me, a similar question, and I gave them detailed instructions on removing their Victrola motor, contacting the restorers, so on. Never dawned on me they were junk, although that second person hasn't read their message, it's still in the out box. Not a problem, really, but just---odd.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Kirkwood wrote:Now I feel silly. The first one included pics of the spring barrels and wanted tips on re-asssembly and installing the center shaft. Referred that one to our known qualified restorers for main spring work. The other purported to be local to me, a similar question, and I gave them detailed instructions on removing their Victrola motor, contacting the restorers, so on. Never dawned on me they were junk, although that second person hasn't read their message, it's still in the out box. Not a problem, really, but just---odd.
Nothing to feel silly about reaching out to a fellow collector asking a question. If they used a method that seems unusual, that is only because we know what is usual. I answered and received a reply from the 1st questioner. He also was apologetic if the wrong method of communication was used. I also answered the 2nd person, but that has not been opened. They may have gotten an answer and moved on. It's all good. :coffee:

James.