The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's time...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm 
Victor V
Given all the problems with the forum, and how much more frequently they have been occurring, I personally feel it's time to pull the plug and let the APS take over. My suggestion, if it can be done, is to get an APS-hosted board of some kind up and runnning ASAP, and as soon as it's available, disable new posts on the current board. The current board can stay online and be used as an archive. Hopefully the posts from this forum can be moved to the new forum over time.

I know from reading other threads that work has begun in this direction. I'm hoping that work can be accelerated before the server issues become permanent. Just adding my 2 cents.

Post subject: Re: It's time...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:36 pm 
Victor VI
I'm Feeling Cranky
52089 wrote:
Given all the problems with the forum, and how much more frequently they have been occurring, I personally feel it's time to pull the plug and let the APS take over. My suggestion, if it can be done, is to get an APS-hosted board of some kind up and runnning ASAP, and as soon as it's available, disable new posts on the current board. The current board can stay online and be used as an archive. Hopefully the posts from this forum can be moved to the new forum over time.

I know from reading other threads that work has begun in this direction. I'm hoping that work can be accelerated before the server issues become permanent. Just adding my 2 cents.

Hear, hear!

I also encourage members to copy and paste their most valuable postings to a WORD document by first using the "print view" feature at the top-left screen of the 1st page of their posts - which converts the post to a text-with-images intact view, enabling the cut and paste feature of WORD; and save the document to their PC.

ADMITTEDLY, this can be an incredibly time consuming operation, however it does work nicely.

Just trying to help as I can.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Last edited by fran604g on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:54 pm 
Victor III
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
52089 wrote:

I quite agree! Dump the old one as it is on its last leg. The last week has been a nightmare.
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:24 pm 
Victor III
I also agree with the above statements. I actually started a thread like this a few days ago and guess what? I hit submit, the spinner started, spun for about 5 minutes, then gave me a error. Oh the irony of it all.

On a positive note, this forum has served us well for a long time. That can't be taken away. I'm sure everyone here had some great use for this either buying, selling or for some info.

But let's not lose fact that this site is old. Archaic even. It's on life support now so please pull the plug.

APS. Please get the new site up and going so we can all enjoy this again. I don't believe a site that continues to crash daily, hourly, or whatever is beneficial to our hobby. Thanks.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 pm 
Victor III
Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!
52089 wrote:

Here Here! Thank you and everyone else who is encouraging the support of an updated site. The crashes are getting more frequent and really terrible.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."