Deleting Old Posts

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
cweastlick
Victor II

Deleting Old Posts

Post by cweastlick »

Could the forum be changed to delete our own, old posts. I would think this would save room on the forum and get rid of old posts that are no longer relevant. Just a thought.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: Deleting Old Posts

Post by Mormon S »

Save space for what? if anything, old posts being there saves space on the current timeline because it would avoid repeated questions. Part of the convenience of the forum is looking back at old post for info, its a huge collection of resources and data that will always be useful to somebody.

Martin

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Even if you could do this, I'm not sure it's a good idea, as old info is better than no info in many cases.

Just FYI, there have been many posts about the current state of the board and how it is in a sort of limbo due to the board "owners". Relocation of the board elsewhere has been discussed as a possibility. In the meantime, adding/changing functionality borders on impossible.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Actually I do have the ability to change this setting, which I did...many years ago. We had an issue with certain people going back and deleting all of their past posts out of spite. This leaves the older threads nearly useless in some cases. Therefore, I changed the deletion time to 1 hour. When you post here now, it’s forever.

Space isn’t an issue, the forum database is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

The idea of deleting old posts is not a good one. We have an enormously valuable resource here for posterity which should be guarded very assiduously indeed in my opinion. Knowledge can become lost so easily, even in these easy days of computers and digital recording, but to delete deliberately...........not wise !

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

emgcr wrote:The idea of deleting old posts is not a good one. We have an enormously valuable resource here for posterity which should be guarded very assiduously indeed in my opinion. Knowledge can become lost so easily, even in these easy days of computers and digital recording, but to delete deliberately...........not wise !
Seconded! Many thanks for sticking to this policy Brandon, and for all you do for the forum. Very much appreciated.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?