O/T—IE Security Woes—Using Internet Explorer = Infection

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

O/T—IE Security Woes—Using Internet Explorer = Infection

Post by MordEth »

I know that I harp on this far, far, far too often, but I just saw the article below on The Register, and since we still have 42.65% of our viewers using Internet Explorer, I feel obligated to warn you. If you’re still using IE and end up paying someone to fix your computer because it gets hijacked by malcontents, don’t say I didn’t warn you. :lol:

Alternative browsers, all of which are free (and far more secure) can easily be downloaded, and I would be happy to assist you in switching to one of them. I recommend (in no particular order): Firefox, Safari, Google’s Chrome and Opera.

In addition to being more secure, all of the aforementioned browsers properly support web standards (which Microsoft is only finally starting to do) and render content correctly, unlike IE, which generally requires kludges on the part of web developers like myself.

Keep in mind that you do not have to go to a malicious site for the content to be a concern—when sites like ImageShack get hacked, even trusted sites may well inadvertently host malicious content. It’s been quite some time since one could use an image to exploit Internet Explorer, but it has been done before. Thankfully, this one is not that severe or alarming, but it’s better to be forewarned.

Once again, I strongly urge you to pick a different browser—for the sake of your computer, for the data you have saved in your browser (such as account numbers, passwords, eBay info, etc.), and for all of us who really hate getting spam from infected Windows machines.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like assistance.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

Second unpatched ActiveX bug hits IE

Swiss cheese browser gains extra hole

By John LeydenGet more from this author

Posted in Enterprise Security, 14th July 2009 10:36 GMT

Scallywags are using an unpatched vulnerability in an ActiveX component to distribute malware, Microsoft warned on Monday. The development adds to already pressing unresolved Internet Explorer security bug woes.

No patch is available for the Office Web Components ActiveX security hole, although there are workarounds which can be automated for enterprise rollouts. The flawed component is used by IE to display Excel spreadsheets, greatly increasing the scope for mischief. Win XP and Win 2003 systems are particularly at risk, while the additional security controls in Vista cover Microsoft's modesty.

Redmond said it's aware of attacks against the security bug, which would involve tricking users into visiting booby-trapped websites. McAfee warns of targeted Trojan attacks based on the vulnerability circulating in China.

The timing of the advisory, a day before Microsoft's monthly Patch Tuesday update, suggests it's highly unlikely that a fix will become available until August at the earliest.

Monday's advisory adds to the list of pending Internet Explorer vulnerabilities, most notably an unpatched flaw in Microsoft Video ActiveX Control that has become the target of widespread exploitation since earlier this month. The flaw is particularly serious because Internet Explorer users can get hit simply by straying onto a hacker-controlled website, providing they are running Windows XP. Vista, as with the latest ActiveX bug, is far less susceptible.

Six updates — three of which address critical flaws in Windows — are due from Microsoft later on Tuesday, as explained here. Redmond is expected to patch the more pressing (and longstanding) online video ActiveX bug later.

Nonetheless, the current outbreak of unpatched ActiveX bugs has prompted some security watchers, including the SANS Institute’s Internet Storm Centre (here) and F-Secure (here), to advise punters to consider using alternative browsers in preference to Internet Explorer. ®

(Quoted from The Register.)
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.