HMV Tone Arm Lubrication?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
fourforty
Victor I

HMV Tone Arm Lubrication?

Post by fourforty »

I have recently acquired an HMV 102 in overall good condition. The vertical swinging movement of the tone arm is nice and free. It is the horizontal movement that is a little stickier than I think it should be.

I took the arm off of the motor board and it appears to require a spanner wrench to disassemble it further. See photo that I lifted from a previous posting. Am I correct to assume that there are ball bearings inside of this arm? What is the recommended lubricant to use?

Thanks,
David
Attachments
HMV_102_arm.JPG
HMV_102_arm.JPG (71.43 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV Tone Arm Lubrication?

Post by Phono48 »

Yes, there are ball bearings in there, and if you undo that ring, they will all fall out! These arms are the devil's own jobs to reassemble, you need four hands! I usually squirt a copious amount of penetrating oil into the base, leave it overnight, then wipe off the excess and drip a few drops of sewing machine oil in. You really don't need heavy grease, which eventually causes the problem you have now.

Barry

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

a bad idea to take apart! put the whole thing in paint thinner and leave it in there for a day or so once every couple of hours give it a good move (turning) and put back
then after its been in there and its properly dry put the back end in a pot of oil and let to soak for a day
then take it out and let it drip off exes oil after another day clean off remaining oil with a dry cloth

it takes a while but it will save you the f***ing pain of the ball bearings going all over the place and re-asembling the thing

tino

fourforty
Victor I

Post by fourforty »

Thanks for the advice! Glad that I asked first and didn't take that ring off!

fourforty
Victor I

Post by fourforty »

Got it finished after following above suggestions and using a light oil. Movement now is light and easy with no slop. Should be good for some time now.