A HMV, info needed...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Re: A HMV, info needed...

Post by tinovanderzwan »

CarlosV wrote:It is not a fake, it is a Spanish HMV. Their cases were quite unique. The soundbox for this would be an HMV exhibition.
but the logo would say hmv in spanish the spacings show its english
also the logo is very crisp too crisp
i think its a franken phone
the case looks like the german large coin-ops from parlophone or other lindstrom brands
i think the motorboard is a replacement
this was married off to parts from a hmv machine

the supposed hmv
2.JPG
2.JPG (104.07 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
now compare parlophone/linstrom coin-op machines
parlophone coin-op w dutch deco wood inlay.jpg
parlophone coin-op w ornate bracket 5.jpg
parlophone high cabinet 2 shades of green horn coin-op 1.JPG
parlophone high cabinet 2 shades of green horn coin-op 1.JPG (37.63 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
parlophone w luxophon 413 bracket coin-op 1.jpg
i can only deduce from the pics from my archive that this is a case from a parlophone coin-op

tino

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

A look and the motor inside would help in determining its authenticity: Spanish and German HMVs had the same motors as the English ones.

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

CarlosV wrote:A look and the motor inside would help in determining its authenticity: Spanish and German HMVs had the same motors as the English ones.
i think the motor has been switched as i said i think the motor board has been replaced
i think this machine was a parlophone coin-op so the motor would have looked like this
parlophone w luxophon 413 bracket coin-op 8.jpg
the coin-feed is in the case of this machine

tino

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

CarlosV wrote: i can only deduce from the pics from my archive that this is a case from a parlophone coin-op
I lean towards this - the cases are almost identical. Although I know that there are a lot of Spanish unusual cabinets - I´ve had several myself - very well made, I´ve never seen a rectangular one. Also there are quite few gramophones around in Spain, and this one turned up in Sweden.

The fact that the logo is new, the cabinet in very good condition, especially the upper part and the contrast with the felt on the turntable makes me think it belongs to the Frankenphone family.

If it will be possible to get more pictures and closeups, motor etc. I will get back on this thread with it all.

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

HisMastersVoice wrote:Actually I was referring to the rectangular shape and oddly small turntable. And it looks as though the tonearm is a bit short for the needle to align with the spindle of the reproducer were attached. I flipped through my "His Master's Gramophone" book and did not see anything like this.
Maybe it is not an oddly small turntable but a massively sized machine. If you look at the horn size in relation to the cabinet, and assuming the cannon brake is the usual size, I would say that the turntable is 12 inches in diameter, and that rather the cabinet is monster size?

And the fantastic original paintwork on the horn does not make me surprised at the condition of the cabinet, though I would concur with the person who said that probably the upper motor board has been replaced (or re-veneered).

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

US PHONO wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:Actually I was referring to the rectangular shape and oddly small turntable. And it looks as though the tonearm is a bit short for the needle to align with the spindle of the reproducer were attached. I flipped through my "His Master's Gramophone" book and did not see anything like this.
Maybe it is not an oddly small turntable but a massively sized machine. If you look at the horn size in relation to the cabinet, and assuming the cannon brake is the usual size, I would say that the turntable is 12 inches in diameter, and that rather the cabinet is monster size?

And the fantastic original paintwork on the horn does not make me surprised at the condition of the cabinet, though I would concur with the person who said that probably the upper motor board has been replaced (or re-veneered).

the parlophone coin-op machines where huge monster size machines
parlophone luxophon automat 415 coin-op.jpg
parlophone luxophon automat 415 coin-op.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
i say parlophone because it was the biggest brand under the wings of linstrom but there where many other brands big and small manufacturing lindstrom phonographs
most had no nametag or logo or even a hint on the motor not even the lindstrom logo aldough they did stamp the inside of the cases of some lindstrom phono's
100_0701.JPG
polyphon coin-op multi color horn.jpg
polyphon coin-op multi color horn.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

tino