My new Expert Junior

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: My new Expert Junior

Post by kirtley2012 »

OrthoSean wrote:Congratulations! Of course, we really never see these here in the US, so I consider myself fortunate to have my EMG Mk IX that a forum member found and then sold to me. I've since assembled a small compliment of various machine-appropriate reproducers. Looking forward to more photos of your and videos.

Sean
Many Thanks Sean

Saying that, it is surprising where these machines have found themselves over the years.

I believe I've seen several videos of your IX and it is a very fine example!, looks nice and of course sounds excellent!

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I do like the larger ones, though the junior is still quite large
I tend to use my Junior more than the Senior simply because you need a huge room to hear the Senior at it's best. Your room acoustics and setup will make the biggest difference to the overall reproduction. Here is my setup procedure, I'm sure others can add to it.
  • Find one of my favorite records that I know really well and one that has good bass and highs.
  • Find the most convenient place in a room to set up the gramophone
  • Service the gramophone. Make sure there are no air leaks and the soundbox is one you know is set up correctly. I tend to use a trusty Meltrope for the first tests.
  • Level the gramophone making sure the turntable is also flat with the motor board. The motor rubber isolators are important here.
  • Play the record and not only listen but take in the overall ambiance in the room.
  • Move the gramophone to several other areas in the room and go through the procedure again at each location.
  • Once you have figured out the best place for you, then use the Expert soundbox and flip out.
Just remember everyones hearing is different. You're a young man so trust your own hearing, it's like everything else, you need to practice it.

I have found there are lots of different types of gramophone collectors, but the two main types are the ones who collect machines and the others that collect music.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

chunnybh wrote:
I do like the larger ones, though the junior is still quite large
I tend to use my Junior more than the Senior simply because you need a huge room to hear the Senior at it's best. Your room acoustics and setup will make the biggest difference to the overall reproduction. Here is my setup procedure, I'm sure others can add to it.
  • Find one of my favorite records that I know really well and one that has good bass and highs.
  • Find the most convenient place in a room to set up the gramophone
  • Service the gramophone. Make sure there are no air leaks and the soundbox is one you know is set up correctly. I tend to use a trusty Meltrope for the first tests.
  • Level the gramophone making sure the turntable is also flat with the motor board. The motor rubber isolators are important here.
  • Play the record and not only listen but take in the overall ambiance in the room.
  • Move the gramophone to several other areas in the room and go through the procedure again at each location.
  • Once you have figured out the best place for you, then use the Expert soundbox and flip out.
Just remember everyones hearing is different. You're a young man so trust your own hearing, it's like everything else, you need to practice it.

I have found there are lots of different types of gramophone collectors, but the two main types are the ones who collect machines and the others that collect music.
Cheers Chunny, yeah I'm going to have to figure out positioning, I've got an ideal spot but it's relatively close to a radiator

I'll have to rebuild my meltrope, I bought one needing some work, just not sure where the metal ring sits inside the body, all fun to start

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The thin metal ring fits between the rubber coupling and the large outer threaded ring.

Where in Somerset did you buy your Expert? I may know the seller.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

epigramophone wrote:The thin metal ring fits between the rubber coupling and the large outer threaded ring.

Where in Somerset did you buy your Expert? I may know the seller.
I think you're on about the one on the back, I'm referring to a piece that fits somewhere alongside the gaskets

It was in South Petherton, I bought it from the collection of a collector we unfortunately lost early this year

Loudbass
Victor O

Post by Loudbass »

Many congratulations Alex. Your Expert looks a real beauty and will give you a lifetime of pleasure I am sure. I recently bought a lovely Mark IV at auction, I wonder if it is from the same collection? In any case, enjoy and welcome to the EMG/Expert owners’ club!
Best wishes, Tom.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Loudbass wrote:Many congratulations Alex. Your Expert looks a real beauty and will give you a lifetime of pleasure I am sure. I recently bought a lovely Mark IV at auction, I wonder if it is from the same collection? In any case, enjoy and welcome to the EMG/Expert owners’ club!
Best wishes, Tom.
Cheers Tom

Yes it is from that collection, I'm looking forward to being part of it, I'm just on my way to collect it to bring home now, exciting!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Very nice machine, congratulations! As Graham mentioned, the use of a counterweight is more or less mandatory if you want to utilize bamboo or fiber needles, the Expert soundbox is probably the heaviest soundbox ever made. Mine came with one that works well, and for the EMG I made a crude counterweight with wire and a balance weight, it does not look very nice but works fine. I mostly utilize the Burmese needles (high quality ones bought from the only manufacturer in existence, Mr Orchorsol in this forum), and with the counterweights I can play two sides of a record before having to repoint the needle.

If your machine has an electric motor, I recommend to have its coil rewound and wires replaced (and maybe add a fuse to its input), to reduce the risk of shorts.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I recommend to have its coil rewound and wires replaced (and maybe add a fuse to its input), to reduce the risk of shorts.
Looks like a Garrard Induction motor. These are built like tanks but Carlos it right. Motors this old can be very dangerous.
If the motor is running well and even if the wires look fine, I always slip new heat shrink insulation on the live and neutral wires going into the motor. There is a rubber grommet on the motor where the two wires enter. This is usually where the old insulation perishes reveling the wire and the chance of a short. The heat shrink can be pushed further over the wire into the motor. I also attach the ground cable to the body of the motor and also to the body of the on/off switch. Replace the 13-amp fuse in the socket with a 2 or 3-amp fuse.
This really is a beauty. Most of the Juniors I have seen are the later versions made with painted or dark stained plywood. Great to see this in such great condition.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

chunnybh wrote:
I recommend to have its coil rewound and wires replaced (and maybe add a fuse to its input), to reduce the risk of shorts.
Looks like a Garrard Induction motor. These are built like tanks but Carlos it right. Motors this old can be very dangerous.
If the motor is running well and even if the wires look fine, I always slip new heat shrink insulation on the live and neutral wires going into the motor. There is a rubber grommet on the motor where the two wires enter. This is usually where the old insulation perishes reveling the wire and the chance of a short. The heat shrink can be pushed further over the wire into the motor. I also attach the ground cable to the body of the motor and also to the body of the on/off switch. Replace the 13-amp fuse in the socket with a 2 or 3-amp fuse.
This really is a beauty. Most of the Juniors I have seen are the later versions made with painted or dark stained plywood. Great to see this in such great condition.
Good advice.

My Expert Minor still had the original twin core cotton covered power cable which had been crudely joined to a length of three core PVC cable. I had the motor, switch gear and power lead completely rewired and earthed by a collector friend who is a competent electrical engineer.

Some owners insist on using period style cable, but as the best position for the machine is across a corner the cable is never likely to be seen. Brown PVC works for me.