Expert Junior - One Month On

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Expert Junior - One Month On

Post by kirtley2012 »

It's been just over a month since I got my Expert Junior home, and I've learned a few things about these machines since, thought I'd share a few

Chunny mentioned previously that room position has a great deal to do with sound reproduction, I thought it won't be a lot, but I was wrong, I moved it today, out of the corner of the room and into a place where the sound is reflecting off of the window, it's like a different machine, massively improved!

I also learned about soundbox re-building, the smallest adjustment, can improve or totally ruin sound reproduction, I think I've got it set pretty good, when I got it the soundbox was very tight on the springs, but the back was just about falling off, adjustment and experimentation has got it near as good as it can be I'd think

Graham had mentioned previously the importance of the tonearm having no swing in it, and a bit of swing causing excess wear on fibre needles, again I never thought it would make much difference, but in some instances, with proper leveling it allowed for up to twice as many plays as when the tonearm had a swing in it.

There's still a lot more fun to be had with it, when we move house I'll have a much better music room and much better neighbor who won't try to compete with the Junior with his E.D.M music (noise) :roll:

I also wanted to share a photo I took of it, I was moving it around a bit so took an opportunity to take it outside and experiment with my photography, this one unfortunately taken digitally (yet to be able to print my own images from negatives, soon! :lol: )
DSC02279.JPG

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Expert Junior - One Month On

Post by emgcr »

Well done Alex and experimentation is always very satisfying isn't it ? Until you make changes and experience different results it is not possible to realise fully just how good or bad any situation actually is---you do need comparisons. Congratulations on your efforts---keep them up---you may be further surprised ! Playing a horn gramophone into a corner is an arrangement which can give interesting effects. I know that in my L-shaped workshop, which has hard wall and floor surfaces, I can aim the horn obliquely at the south-facing wall and actually hear the sound coming from the north-west.

Your photography also looks very promising and artistic.

All good fun.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Expert Junior - One Month On

Post by Orchorsol »

That's all fascinating to hear Alex and I'm glad you're "enjoying the journey"!

In a small house it's always been near-impossible to move mine around, and I'm lucky they have sounded great anyway - all the more-so I'm looking forward to moving somewhere larger and experimenting as you are.

I love the photo! I think you may have started something there - tasteful photos of Experts and EMGs in fine settings, gothic and whatever else!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?