Deutsche Grammophon horn model..Monarch?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Deutsche Grammophon horn model..Monarch?

Post by Uncle Vanya »

The brake with the thick, single plate was introduced at the time that the new style spiral drive motors came out, for on these motors the turntable spindles were slightly longer than the were on the bevel drive motors.

As far as two spring bevel drive motors are concerned, they are quite common here in the 'states, having been fitted to both the Monarch (Type M, or "Victor the Third") and Monarch Junior (Type E, it "Victor the Second").

This is a brief video of such a motor in action. https://youtu.be/RA_7Jltk7Ak

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for all these technical talk, as a non technical person, and also not knowing anything about how a gramphone really is working under its cover, I need to know more, and learn more. The names of the different parts of the motor and drive, is also unfamiliar to me, so I have work to do here.
I have decided to totally dissemble a portable Odeon I purchased 3 months ago. It was the first gramophone I bought in 20 years, and I understood too late it had a broken soundbox, where the needle had lost its fixation in the centre. But now it can become my teaching station. I will now try to disassemble the total portable unit, and film it all to remember what I am doing. Then, I will try to look up all the parts online, to know their individual names ( as a non English/american native speaker)and try also to understand their functions. When the disassembling is over, comes the tricky part, trying to assemple the unit again !!
I have one question in this regard, is there any parts inside the motor that can give me problems, or that even are hazardous to open? I guess for instance there must be some springs of course, that are powerful in there.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, the springs are dangerous and must be handled with care, and of course, all the movement chain in the motor when the springs are loaded. You might observe the motor in action to make yourself an idea of how it works. Then, let the springs run down completely before attempting to touch anything. The gears, if the spring has energy, become saw wheels for your fingers, or can also be damaged. When disassembling the motor, take care of the gears, avoiding the contact with anything hard that could damage their teeth. The spring barrel is also dangerous by itself, for the springs inside are compressed to fit into their space. Think that their natural relaxed size is maybe ten times the size of the barrel! So getting them out the barrel required strength and caution. You'd better grip the centre of the coil, and operate under a towel or inside a buck or something that protects you when the spring comes out expanding to its proper size. Once you know by actual experience its strength and size, operations become easier.
The centrifugal governor is also delicate, for it's the part of the motor that runs faster. It has two or three steel blade springs with heavy balls or weights attached to the centre, which expand when the motor is running. The springs are soft and delicate, and the balls heavy, so it must be treated with care not to spoil it. When it is running, a sudden stop can make the inertia of the weights to break the blade springs.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Inigo: Thank you SO much for writing this valuable long reply. I really appreciate it, it will make things easier for me when starting to disassemble the motor of this Odeon machine. I have decided that I want to learn this, to understand how it all works, see the differences of motors, and also be able to take part in discussions of the more technical kind here on the forum, and..to hopefully spread the knowledge to future generations around me. Thank you again:))

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

This is a100% original and unmolested 1905-06 DGAG Monarch No.11 with an original 1905-06 DGAG aluminium horn TA III. No stripping, no sanding. Original crank, original finish, only missing its Gutta-Percha emblem. These are easily lost with time. I have the tooling and materials to re-produce these, so not an issue. Also the Exhibition soundbox is an easy fix, tons of them out there. It is a bargain at 1000€ and I wouldn’t hesitate to snap it up without a second thought.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Jaso wrote:This is a100% original and unmolested 1905-06 DGAG Monarch No.11 with an original 1905-06 DGAG aluminium horn TA III. No stripping, no sanding. Original crank, original finish, only missing its Gutta-Percha emblem. These are easily lost with time. I have the tooling and materials to re-produce these, so not an issue. Also the Exhibition soundbox is an easy fix, tons of them out there. It is a bargain at 1000€ and I wouldn’t hesitate to snap it up without a second thought.
Hi Jaso. Many thanks for clarifying this. Have you seen the machine? Its sometimes difficult to judge the state of the finish from photographs. Do you know what size the motor is? In Britain the No. 11 was only sold as single-spring but the hinged motor board and fluted corner columns suggest this may have a more powerful motor.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Jaso, for shedding much light on the mysteries around this beautiful gramophone. Now it becomes even harder though not to purchase it, even if every aspect of my personal economy/income tell me not to buy it;)
I also now was able to find this site, showing the model in a catalogue from Deutsche Grammophon.
http://www.sprechapparate.de/doks/dg1905.pdf
The main site, is also showing the gramohophone in colors, among many other beauties.
http://www.sprechapparate.de/gt.htm

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I would be interested in this machine if it is still available. ;)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Watching oversized images, it seems to me that the lower plate (small) under the cannon brake support is there, but a second protection plate under the brake lever to protect the wood board from scratching when acting the brake is clearly missing.
See photo of the brake disassembled.
IMG_20190629_111051.jpg
Anyway they added a cloth pad, for the brake seems not to operate properly. But these brakes can be repaired. Maybe it lost the loading spring or the leather pad has been lost
IMG_20190629_110526.jpg
IMG_20190629_110200.jpg
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Inigo: Thank you for sending this photos, it is very much appreciated. I am in contact with the seller, even if it really is beyond my recent budget, I would love to see the gramophone, and am now making arrangements for this. This photo was very valuable for me, I will print it and bring along with me, since I not yet know the original details of this gramophone. I am still in the initial stages of disassembling my first (portable) grammophone, which now is an old Paillard that come my way, leaving the Odeon alone for a while.
Update: I now travel out to see the gramophone...goosebumps:))