Anyone had luck getting broken needle screws out? EDIT - VICTORY!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
EdgarFB
Victor O

Anyone had luck getting broken needle screws out? EDIT - VICTORY!!!

Post by EdgarFB »

EDIT - I got the damn thing out!

I just picked up a superb 5a reproducer... bu it has one flaw! Can anyone advise hoe to get this out? Its not fully tightened, looks like it was done up as far as holding a needle and then snapped off, then someone has tried to saw it out.

Last edited by EdgarFB on Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Anyone had luck getting broken needle screws out?

Post by poodling around »

EdgarFB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:32 am I just picked up a superb 5a reproducer... bu it has one flaw! Can anyone advise hoe to get this out? Its not fully tightened, looks like it was done up as far as holding a needle and then snapped off, then someone has tried to saw it out.

I don't suppose there is just enough sticking out for a pair of 'small ended' pliers to grasp the remains and be able to twist it out ?

Maybe at the edge ??

Looks like maybe there is ???

Maybe using WD 40 first to loosen it ?

or try using a small hammer and chisel. Use the edge of an old chisel to latch onto the rough edge of the remaining screw, bang it the 'un-do way' and see if it edges out ? If it does, then use the small pliers.
Last edited by poodling around on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

poodling around wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:45 am
EdgarFB wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:32 am I just picked up a superb 5a reproducer... bu it has one flaw! Can anyone advise hoe to get this out? Its not fully tightened, looks like it was done up as far as holding a needle and then snapped off, then someone has tried to saw it out.

I don't suppose there is just enough sticking out for a pair of 'small ended' pliers to grasp the remains and be able to twist it out ?
Sadly not, someone has sawn into the needle holder just to get down to the same level and obviously given up their attempts.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I think it will have to be drilled-out and re-threaded. If you don’t think you can do this then Keith Badman has done this in the past so you could send it to him.

Otherwise maybe a local watch/clock repairer may be of use.

I wonder if there is still a bit of needle stuck in the needle hole?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I do agree with Jamie but if you're lucky you might be able to use a manual hand-drill with a very tiny drill bit to make a hole in the centre of the needle screw. If there is sufficient depth left to engage the drill bit into the remains of the screw, I would then try to add a spot of superglue around the drill bit and when it's set attempt to unscrew the drill bit with the hope of turning the end of the needle screw to prevent having to drill it out and re-thread. I have done this before but it doesn't always work. Of course add some WD40 to the area before attempting to turn it anti-clockwise. Good luck with it!

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

I'm wondering if I'm best off putting out feelers for a knackered 5b with a good needle arm and diaphragm.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:57 pm I do agree with Jamie but if you're lucky you might be able to use a manual hand-drill with a very tiny drill bit to make a hole in the centre of the needle screw. If there is sufficient depth left to engage the drill bit into the remains of the screw, I would then try to add a spot of superglue around the drill bit and when it's set attempt to unscrew the drill bit with the hope of turning the end of the needle screw to prevent having to drill it out and re-thread. I have done this before but it doesn't always work. Of course add some WD40 to the area before attempting to turn it anti-clockwise. Good luck with it!
This is exactly the way I would tackle it. The broken screw even has a convenient recess to start the drilling. I did a similar job and the vibrations or heat from the drill started to turn the broken screw so easier than expected. I was using the smallest electric Dremel drill though.

EdgarFB
Victor O

Re: Anyone had luck getting broken needle screws out? EDIT - VICTORY!!!

Post by EdgarFB »

Victory!!!!

Eventually got the little bugger out with a very tiny drill bit in a dremel. Drilled for ages then suddenly the screw freed and tightened itself completely up in the needle hole :lol: Luckily I was able to slide a tiny watchmakers screwdriver in and get enough purchase to unscrew it again and remove it.

Last edited by EdgarFB on Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

New screw fitted (wrong type, but the right thread!) so I thought I'd give it its first run since whatever decade it got broken in! Can't fault it, event though there is a ding in the diaphragm it sounds spot on.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Wonderful!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?