Decca 'Deccalian' "Cellarette" gramophone genuine?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Decca 'Deccalian' "Cellarette" gramophone genuine?

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations with your Decca Cellarette, Roger.
I have never seen anything like it before, and probably also never will, in the future.
For sure a very interesting gramophone, and unique too. :clover:

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 pm foolish posts from the doubters and detractors.
Congratulation on winning this unusual machine and being able to view it beforehand, perhaps you would not have bought it without this viewing. Having re-read this thread I can’t see that anyone said anything particularly foolish based on the pictures presented. The point of forums like this is that people should discuss machines and those which are unusual are often regarded with healthy scepticism which hopefully invites comment from those who are better informed.

At least the scepticism expressed in this thread would not have raised the price. :D

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:14 am
epigramophone wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 pm foolish posts from the doubters and detractors.
Congratulation on winning this unusual machine and being able to view it beforehand, perhaps you would not have bought it without this viewing. Having re-read this thread I can’t see that anyone said anything particularly foolish based on the pictures presented. The point of forums like this is that people should discuss machines and those which are unusual are often regarded with healthy scepticism which hopefully invites comment from those who are better informed.

At least the scepticism expressed in this thread would not have raised the price. :D
Very well said, Jamie, and I completely agree you but it's also worth everybody remembering, including the "better informed", that it's not particularly well mannered to look down your nose or ridicule those members who are asking for advice or the valued opinions of other members who they regularly converse with and respect.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 pm [Wise words from Oedipus, in marked contrast to the speculative and in some cases foolish posts from the doubters and detractors.
:roll:

You miss the point that speculation, if it is not pompously presented as fact, can be quite fun. I enjoyed this thread, and I did learn from the banter herein.

My freely confessed foolishness:
Lah Ca wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am Just of the top of my head and with no particular depth of knowledge to inform my impressions, I would say that if it is a fake, it is a very good and very old one.
epigramophone wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 pm[Wise words from Oedipus, in marked contrast to the speculative and in some cases foolish posts from the doubters and detractors.
Now that I am the new owner, ....
Congratulations on the new acquisition, BTW.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I sent the auctioneers an email for them to forward to the vendor, and after speaking to him I can now confirm that the machine which I have purchased is beyond doubt the one sold at Christie's in 1974. As far as is known, there is no other example out there.
The vendor has given permission for me to publish an article about the machine's history in a future edition of the CLPGS magazine.