Wooden La Voix de Son Maître 100

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Wooden La Voix de Son Maître 100

Post by soundgen »

102 top and bottom panels are cardboard !

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Wow, I never knew that! Always assumed it would be some kind of hardboard/plywood, something like that................

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

An Balores wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 am Wow, I never knew that! Always assumed it would be some kind of hardboard/plywood, something like that................
No, they were a definite step down in build quality from the 100 / 101, but then you have to remember they were also one of the first products manufactured under the newly formed EMI Group. It steadily went down hill in the decades following as even cheaper materials and streamlined manufacturing came into being, as austerity kicked in towards the war years and immediately thereafter.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The 101 also had a top and bottom made of a thick, dense card ('cardboard' is an unkind name for it, it's much denser than that. I have seen plywood, on a wartime 97, when perhaps the normal board was not available.) The sides of the cloth-covered portables were made of white wood, a smooth, close-grained type whose botanical name I do not know!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Oedipus wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:07 pm The 101 also had a top and bottom made of a thick, dense card ('cardboard' is an unkind name for it, it's much denser than that. I have seen plywood, on a wartime 97, when perhaps the normal board was not available.) The sides of the cloth-covered portables were made of white wood, a smooth, close-grained type whose botanical name I do not know!
HMV called the top and base material of the 102 "Essex Board". It is much harder than cardboard, more like thin plywood.

Barry

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Ah, Essex Board - quick research shows "a sheet material made of compacted paper fibres. Lighter than mdf and hardboard it is easy to work with. It is commonly used in the production of pelmets." So a sort of tough 'super-cardboard'.....