BUGS?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

BUGS?

Post by chunnybh »

A neighbour just asked me to service his Columbia 124a.
It's a neat little machine with a small "bifurcated folded metal internal stereoscopic horn, that if straightened would be 9 feet long".
I'm simply going to dismantle all the parts, clean, lube and polish it. I turned it upside down and found some weird chalky trails, splashes all over it. I suspect it's some sort of bug which made trails all along any unfinished raw timber. It has not entered the timber, not even the middle plywood which is sandwiched between 5mm of solid mahogany. I have scraped it off and cleaned it.
Does anyone know what did this? I'm thinking of covering the raw timber (inside and bottom of the cabinet) with a preservative just to make sure it is not active with the bug. I've never seen anything like it. The termite trails I have seen are usually sandy tunnels, where as this is solid and chalky.
Attachments
Bug-2.jpg
Bug-1.jpg
124a.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: BUGS?

Post by poodling around »

Of course over here in England we have very different insects when compared to those of Australia.

The only thing I can think of from England is that they might have been caused by snails - like 'snail trails'.

I am not convinced that the marks are caused by 'bugs' though as they look like splashes of something ?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Looks more like paint or detergent splash to me.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

CarlosV wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 am Looks more like paint or detergent splash to me.
Me too.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 am Looks more like paint or detergent splash to me.
Agreed. Unless the BUGS are GIANTS and crawl around spraying furniture with cleaning products, I don't see the residue left behind coming from any bug currently known to man.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Woodworm? edisonplayer.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

No holes at all, I even used a digital microscope just incase they were tiny. Those dots are just spots of whatever it is and simply scraped off. Here are some more pics. It has obviously been refinished as someone varnished over the stuff.
It's as if there was an accident with some plaster when the cabinet was being constructed and they carried on assembling it anyway without cleaning it up. I'm baffled.
Attachments
Bug-5 .jpg
Bug-4.jpg
Bug-3.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Looks like traces of old furniture stripper to me.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Yeah, old furniture stripper.
I bet if you took some methyl hydrate and some steel wool to it, it would disappear.
Be careful not to get the alcohol anywhere else.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

It comes straight off and yes after cleaning with meths it's mostly gone.