Empty Cockleshell Monarch case

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Empty Cockleshell Monarch case

Post by Steve »

I've just spotted an empty Monarch case which has no innards or anything with it. The top might need some careful refinishing and one of the rear turned columns is sadly missing.

I'm tempted to get it because......well I'm a collector, I've always liked the case, it's a part of gramophone history and I know what it is but I have no idea what it's worth or what I'd do with it! I'm simply burdened with the problem of being collector, knowing exactly what it is and desperately wanting to remove it from a shop full of sewing related items where its currently languishing without anyone apparently knowing its true original purpose.

Someone please convince me to either buy it or walk away happily. At the moment I'm struggling to do either!

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Empty Cockleshell Monarch case

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:38 am I've just spotted an empty Monarch case which has no innards or anything with it. The top might need some careful refinishing and one of the rear turned columns is sadly missing.

I'm tempted to get it because......well I'm a collector, I've always liked the case, it's a part of gramophone history and I know what it is but I have no idea what it's worth or what I'd do with it! I'm simply burdened with the problem of being collector, knowing exactly what it is and desperately wanting to remove it from a shop full of sewing related items where its currently languishing without anyone apparently knowing its true original purpose.

Someone please convince me to either buy it or walk away happily. At the moment I'm struggling to do either!
Sewing related items ? Is it this one :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57613 ???

Even if it isn't ........................ buy it, the saying 'if in doubt do nowt' is for losers !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:50 am
Steve wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:38 am I've just spotted an empty Monarch case which has no innards or anything with it. The top might need some careful refinishing and one of the rear turned columns is sadly missing.

Sewing related items ? Is it this one :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57613 ???

Even if it isn't ........................ buy it, the saying 'if in doubt do nowt' is for losers !
No, no, no, that was a Senior Monarch base, I'm talking about the double spring Monarch which was contemporary with the SM.

I'm trying to think of how I could re-purpose it in a gramophone related way. I'm not talking of painting it grey and sticking knitting needles in it! :lol:

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

This is the type of case I'm referring to:
1100040149_THUMB.JPG
1100040149_THUMB.JPG (12.2 KiB) Viewed 523 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Buy it now and figure out what to do with it later...

Can you post a larger picture? That thumbnail isn't helpful...

Is it in Europe? Otherwise, let me know if you decide against it.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I guess it’s all down to the price. If reasonable buy it. You may find a complete machine but missing a Cockleshell...

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:35 pm I guess it’s all down to the price. If reasonable buy it. You may find a complete machine but missing a Cockleshell...
That is the issue really, Jamie, I agree.

It's currently £50 but I could get it for £42. Now, if it had all 4 corner columns I might have just brought it home with me but I keep asking myself where will I get someone to turn a perfect reproduction and to what end? It'll always be a new part but even then I'll bet it'll cost a pretty penny, more than twice the cabinet, quite likely. So that's the dilemma. It's more of a rescue mission really but I'm at a loss as to how to treat the patient once they're in the "right hands".

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:08 pm
jamiegramo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:35 pm I guess it’s all down to the price. If reasonable buy it. You may find a complete machine but missing a Cockleshell...
That is the issue really, Jamie, I agree.

It's currently £50 but I could get it for £42. Now, if it had all 4 corner columns I might have just brought it home with me but I keep asking myself where will I get someone to turn a perfect reproduction and to what end? It'll always be a new part but even then I'll bet it'll cost a pretty penny, more than twice the cabinet, quite likely. So that's the dilemma. It's more of a rescue mission really but I'm at a loss as to how to treat the patient once they're in the "right hands".
I see the dilemma as I am someone who has hoarded too much stuff and am now determined not to do so. If only it had the missing column or was £20...

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I would love to have 2 columns for mine. Mine currently has 2 reproduced columns. Although done very well, as you say, it will always be a new part. I'd be happy to to buy 2 columns if you get this case. I'll admit, I'm not sure how this helps you however. :?

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I know of a certain collector with parts for a Cockleshell Monarch, but after spending 18 months trying, have yet to be able to get them. If you get the case, I can give you the lead.

Garret