HMV identification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Raph1511
Victor Jr

HMV identification

Post by Raph1511 »

Hello,

Thanks for accepting me in your forum!

I am more an old radio collector (about hundred civilian tube radios, WW2 military radios and few phono and tape readers) but I found this HMV gramophone in a flea market this week-end for a symbolic price and, of course, I was unable to leave it there…

It is in bad condition but it looks original, compared to the crapophone someone offered me few years ago…

After having a look on the Net, I think it could be a Monarch model but I didn’t find exactly the same, perhaps due to the fact that it is a French model (« Importé d’Angleterre » on decal). I suppose that the horn is the correct one but not sure.

After bringing back home, I noticed that few important parts are missing: the horn elbow and the motor regulator (spring is ok). There is also a rubber link between the cell (?) and the arm that is dead and should be replaced. Where do you think I could find these parts?

Best regards
Raphael
Attachments
IMG_0958.jpeg
IMG_0956.jpeg
IMG_0950.jpeg
IMG_0949.jpeg
IMG_0932.jpeg
IMG_0931.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: HMV identification

Post by jamiegramo »

Hello Raphael,

Welcome to the forum. Being made in England your model should appear in the ‘His Master’s Gramophone’ book. Mine is not to hand but I would say your machine is circa 1920. Someone else will hopefully come in with the exact model.

The horn appears correct and is best left and not repainted. The inside paint looks particularly good. The rubber flange that connects the soundbox to the tonearm is available on ebay, just search under ‘exhibition rubber ‘flange’ or ‘isolator’. The soundbox, although similar exhibition type, does not appear to be an HMV. The speed control should not be difficult if you can show a picture of where it is missing. The problem is the horn connector which is the later plug in type. As far as I know no one is copying this elbow and an original will be very hard to find. I wonder if you could adapt one of those nasty crapophone elbows until something better turns up…

The cone shaped circular metal piece attached to the top board does not belong. Possibly an electric pick-up was once mounted here?

I’m curious as to what a symbolic price was? :D

Jamie

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

It appears the chap in Peru is making a copy of the horn elbow. You would have to check the dimensions. A pity it’s missing as it’s arguably the most valuable part.
Attachments
IMG_0733.jpeg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Or there’s an original. $354! Did you check that the seller doesn’t have the part somewhere? Maybe they did a clearence.
Attachments
IMG_0732.jpeg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm not sure that model will be in HMG as it appears to have been made exclusively for the French market?

Regarding the elbow, I have a spare I can sell for less than the excellent ones from Peru (that seller does have excellent reproductions of everything he sells and would otherwise be highly recommended).

Raph1511
Victor Jr

Post by Raph1511 »

Thank you all for your responses,

Concerning the identification, I am also in touch with Tim Weeks, the « Gramophone Guru » and he made a very relevant remark : if you look close to the HMV transfer, you will see thanks to the scratchs that there is an other logo below. This is the Zonophone logo which was part of HMV company. The gramophone would therefore be a Zonophone Model 3 from 1920, re-branded by HMV for the French market. I didn’t find pictures of it for the moment on the net.

Concerning the elbow, I found them on the net but how to be sure that they have the good size. I am thinking to 3D metal printing. There are some chineese companies that do that for reasonable prices.

For the motor governor, I am still looking for its type.

Best regards
Attachments
IMG_0966.jpeg
IMG_0966.jpeg (300.72 KiB) Viewed 646 times

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:30 pm I’m curious as to what a symbolic price was? :D
Yes, I'm equally curious!

Regarding the elbow, as I said earlier, I do have a spare so it's not necessary to try and make one if you do need an elbow!

With the benefit of a very large monitor (as opposed to my Android phone!) I have been able to zoom into the decal and I can see clearly now what Tim is saying so I believe it might be correct: an HMV made Zonophone re-badged as an HMV for the French market. I've seen it all now! :D

Raph1511
Victor Jr

Post by Raph1511 »

Steve wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:36 am
jamiegramo wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:30 pm I’m curious as to what a symbolic price was? :D
Yes, I'm equally curious!

Regarding the elbow, as I said earlier, I do have a spare so it's not necessary to try and make one if you do need an elbow!

With the benefit of a very large monitor (as opposed to my Android phone!) I have been able to zoom into the decal and I can see clearly now what Tim is saying so I believe it might be correct: an HMV made Zonophone re-badged as an HMV for the French market. I've seen it all now! :D
10€!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Raph1511 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:06 am Thank you all for your responses,

Concerning the elbow, I found them on the net but how to be sure that they have the good size. I am thinking to 3D metal printing. There are some chineese companies that do that for reasonable prices.

Best regards
Confirming the correct size should be an easy matter. I can't believe a 3D metal printing would be nearly strong enough. Steve's generous offer to sell you one would be the wise option to pursue.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

But this is a steal!!! Congratulations
Inigo