HMV202 on ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

HMV202 on ebay

Post by epigramophone »

I seem to remember that this machine was the subject of a previous thread which appears to have been deleted.

In case anyone is still interested, it made GBP£5435.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Re: HMV202 on ebay

Post by Tinkerbell »

epigramophone wrote:I seem to remember that this machine was the subject of a previous thread which appears to have been deleted.

In case anyone is still interested, it made GBP£5435.
Wow!! :shock:

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

This thread?

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=10642

Never deleted, it's always been in the Yankee Trader section.

Wonder why the 202 price was so very soft?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Wonder why the 202 price was so very soft?
I agree that on a good day it should have made another £1500 but I do think it's largely down to the seller's inability to list it properly. The photos were poorly lit, out of focus, low resolution attempts and not a single picture showed the whole machine. Even though information detailing the model number, year of manufacture, motor type etc was provided by prospective buyers, none of this made the listing for some odd reason.

There were no pictures showing the condition of the lid, the existence of the internal horn or the originality of the 5A soundbox ie. was it the correct silver one?

So many questions remain unanswered.

We think member 'emgcr' bought it.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Uncle Vanya wrote:This thread?

Thank you for that link Uncle. I have never looked in that section of the forum, so I too assumed my thread had been deleted.

I wonder if EMGCR intends to keep it? I do not believe that even he would convert that machine into a twenty-first century EMG!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yankee Trader is the last place I would have looked for a machine listed on UK ebay, hence my starting this new topic.

I shall be visiting emgcr next month. If he has bought the 202, I look forward to seeing and hearing it, but let's be sure of our facts before we discuss who now owns it and what they plan to do with it.

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

dd2u wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:This thread?

Thank you for that link Uncle. I have never looked in that section of the forum, so I too assumed my thread had been deleted.

I wonder if EMGCR intends to keep it? I do not believe that even he would convert that machine into a twenty-first century EMG!
I own one of EMGCR's gramophones. The case was a battered, tatty original EMG case with loose veneer etc. etc. It has been transformed back into its original beauty to the highest standard and specification and rooted in the original EMG styling and approach with immaculate French polish etc. I've seen his other cabinets. The majority of them are old things almost beyond redemption that he has resurrected and still is working on painstakingly and artfully. I'm puzzled as to how there can be an idea around that he would even think of converting something like a 202 into an EMG?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm puzzled as to how there can be an idea around that he would even think of converting something like a 202 into an EMG?
I think this has arisen because he has produced some YouTube films showing a 511 remodelled as an EMG with a new horn?

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Do you mean those on his youtube channel? If you look more closely you will see that that gramophone has an original EMG case. It is sitting on a table which, if I remember correctly from visiting there, is a completely wrecked empty case of a HMV 511 which he managed to salvage to the point where it could function as a stand.
It just occurs to me that on that same youtube channel, if you go to his upload of Kol Nidrei, you will see and hear it being played on the gramophone which I now own. Again, an original EMG case.