HMV 5a and Expert 4-spring comparison.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: HMV 5a and Expert 4-spring comparison.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:Actually, I found a program awhile back on the www called listentoyoutube.com that will allow you to download the audio from any youtube video. You just copy the link into the box on the website and it converts and provides you with a link to download the converted MP3 file.

Strange that nobody is willing to help with my original "tuning" question for a 2 spring EMG soundbox. :monkey:

Sean
Sean, thank you for the info re. "listentoyoutube". I'll try it.

Regarding the EMG Tuning question, I've found one solution that has worked tried and true for most makes of reproducers and records.
- two glasses of wine
- clean record
- sit back
- enjoy :lol:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Good advice! :P

I think I have pretty much figured out what's what with mine, and I won't hesitate for a second to say it sounds fantastic with bamboo needles and just plain room filling with half tone steel, but I'd imagine there are tips to doing this which some of us may find useful.

Sean

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Valecnik wrote: Regarding the EMG Tuning question, I've found one solution that has worked tried and true for most makes of reproducers and records.
- two glasses of wine
- clean record
- sit back
- enjoy :lol:
That's 2 beers at Sean's house :lol:

David Spanovich
Victor II

Post by David Spanovich »

chunnybh wrote:I tried to embed these but somehow couldn't.
[YouTubeHD]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RqXwtPO ... tu.be&hd=1[/YouTubeHD]
When you want to embed a video so it shows up, you have to remove the "play list" code starting with &feature, as I've indicated below with a strike-through:

[YouTubeHD]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RqXwtPO ... tu.be&hd=1[/del][/YouTubeHD]

In other words, paste everything in front of &feature.

Hope this made sense.

DS

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Also, if you hit the "share" tab under the video, then hit the "options" tab in the drop down menu, you can tick the LONG link box, and copy the code that appears in the bar of the drop down menu. That LONG link is the one you need to paste between [YouTube] [/YouTube] here on the board.
If you copy the "short" link & try to embed it, it wont work. I think it was the short link that Chunny originally used in his first post, but by the time I had posted the videos below his post, Chunny had altered the links to how they appear now.
The worst thing about youtube (& facebook) is that as soon as you get used to doing something one way, they go and alter everything so you've got to learn it all over again :evil:

David Spanovich
Victor II

OrthoSean wrote:I think the EMG soundbox out perfroms them all, honestly, and to my ears by a long shot. I did the same thing Chunny did with my EMG and it was pertty amazing. My EMG is only a 2 spring sounbox and even trying it on something like a Victor III and a couple internal horn models, it's just astounding to hear the difference. Eventually, I'd really like to figure out just what adjustments seem to make the most difference with the EMG soundbox, I've rebuilt mine and I'm rather pleased with the sound, but I'd be interested in knowing which adjustments are the most crucial ones. It seems to me the two screws that hold the small points against the needle bar / pivot are the most sensitive. Anyone?

This is not to say the HMV / Victor orthophonic soundboxes don't sound good, they do, but I think (if I read Shane's comments correctly) they sound best on re-entrant / ortho machines.

Sean
I've heard that a good "neutral" adjustment works the best for most records. When adjusting the tension of the needle bar's springs, you want the least amount of or resistance possible, so that the needle is free to track record's groove. Along this line, the needle bar should just touch the diaphragm and should not press on it our cause it to pull forward, once connected.

That said, you might find this article of interest -- http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/Ma ... +COMMITTEE

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Thanks for the link, David, it's going to be interesting reading, but from what I just skimmed through, it's pretty much what I've already done with my EMG reproducer. I'm certainly no stranger to doing rebuilds and adjustments to regular Victors (especially the Exhibition and #2) and they can most certainly be "tuned" more than many may believe as I've claimed for years. I've done a few for some of our members who may or may not chime in!

I've heard so many things from EMG owners about how they do "tuning" on their EMG reproducedrs, but I've never been able to find any details. Maybe it's a secret held close to the belt? At any rate, I've enjoyed tweaking mine here and there, at one point, I had it so it would play as many as a dozen sies with a bamboo needle with no problems and lately I'm down to around 5 or 6 if I'm lucky. I guess I'll keep at it! Still, it's fun and the sound out of one is just stunning!

Sean

David Spanovich
Victor II

Hi Sean:

I'll have to admit that the one thing I really like about the Orthophonic sound box--in addition to it's excellent sound quality--is that it can't be tuned, if it's rebuilt according to the original specs.

I'm the type that would forever be tweaking, and re-tweaking, and re-re-tweaking the adjustment of the springs: "Was there a slight rattle this time?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Did I hear a buzz?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Wasn't there more bass before?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Wasn't there more treble before?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Did it peak just now?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Maybe it should be louder?"(screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Too loud?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Too soft now?" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "DAMMIT." (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "Oh, t'well with it!!!" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "I'll just put it back the way it was when I found it!" (screw screw screw screw, turn turn turn ) "There, that's better...well, maybe just one more turn of the...." CRACK!!!!

In short, it wouldn't be long before I broke one of the springs, or stripped a screw, or punctured the diaphragm, or ....

I know me.

DS

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I find tuning most soundboxes (that can be tuned) is a question of trial and error. The best tip I can suggest is using the right record for testing purposes. I tend to use late 1940's shellac records as they were recorded so well and it's easy to notice faults and easily detect minor tweaks to the soundbox. When tuning EMG and Expert soundboxes, I tend to set them up as neutral as possible. That is everything aligned as it should be. The springs just holding the stylus bar. With steel needles I find this is the perfect set-up but when using fibre needles those springs come in very handy. Slight adjustments make a huge difference in reproduction and longevity of the fibre.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

David and Chunny -

I do the same thing! In fact, I keep my little EMG screwdriver right in the machine and it's always a little turn here, another there etc. As I said above, I had it probably as good as ever a few times and now that what I suspected is the case (the two springs on the needle bar pivot), I'll start slowly loosening them until I get that "sweet spot" back.

Thanks guys!
Sean