Indian Teak 202 on UK Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Indian Teak 202 on UK Ebay

Post by GMEMG »

There appears to be an Indian Teak 202 on Ebay - as it won't be in Christopher Proudfoot's book - i wondered if anyone had heard of such a thing here ?

it must have been made in India especially to order

it must be worth $15,000 i would imagine

David Spanovich
Victor II

Re: Indian Teak 202 on UK Ebay

Post by David Spanovich »

You mean this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-202-Re-en ... 3a6cbc865c

HMV202-1.JPG
HMV202-1.JPG (37.74 KiB) Viewed 5081 times

GMEMG
Victor O

Post by GMEMG »

T'is the very one so t'is !

All Indian Teak bu the look of it

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I prefer the look of teakwood weathered to a velvety silver gray- but do you think that cabinet would hold up if i left it outdoors a few years?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

GMEMG wrote: it must be worth $15,000 i would imagine
But only if at least two Asians could warm to the idea of purchasing it. Otherwise half that price is more realistic.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Starkton wrote:
GMEMG wrote: it must be worth $15,000 i would imagine
But only if at least two Asians could warm to the idea of purchasing it. Otherwise half that price is more realistic.
I wouldn't count on that actually. It's hard to say though with some economies the way they are. Condition might be a problem with this one, but I'm sure it would clean up very well. This is only the second teak cased 202 to be found AFAIK, so it really is an ultra-rare 202. & I KNOW I could get $10,000 for my oak 202 any day of the week, (and could probably push that up another thousand or two if I shopped around). All it would take is a phone call.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That is absolutely 100% genuine and definitely original without any shadow of a doubt. The problem I have is that it is SOOOOOOOO rare I can't believe I'm actually seeing it.....and for sale too! :monkey:

It is a so-called Colonial Model 202 and therefore will not be in the latest HMV book either. It shouldn't be the case but that will probably affect its value? It's from India and made from SOLID teak.

It's somewhat improbably and unbelievably too rare to even put a value on. As 'gmemg' regularly says: "the rarer something is, the less people know about it and the more scared they become". In other words, no one will know what to pay for it.

For what it's worth I predict a very LOW selling price: £2,500-4,000, bearing in mind it's teak, from India and the current state of the world economy. It looks as though it might need some careful cleaning and polishing too.

GMEMG
Victor O

Post by GMEMG »

Yes, I do say that quite a lot !

Will this great machine end up next to a cheap, tatty , black painted fullotone (From the Collection of Lady Gore - blimey?)and featuring in the next episode of the West Country version of "Last of the Summer Wine" (this Saturday)

Err..........No !

and since the Hendon Gramophone shop has "To Let" in the window i can't see it ending up there either

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As the seller's description does not mention the type of wood, we must assume that he is unaware of the fact that it is teak.

It would be interesting to know from whom he acquired the machine, and whether he learned anything of it's history in the process.

My thoughts, which are pure speculation, are that it belonged to a senior member of the British Raj in India, who thought enough of the machine to bring it home at the end of his service.

One final thought........what must it weigh?

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

I think over 300 pounds.