Indian Teak 202 on UK Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mjbramham
Victor Jr
Personal Text: The music goes round and around and it comes out here

Re: Indian Teak 202 on UK Ebay

Post by mjbramham »

Blimey, the bids are starting to roll in now! Oh well, quite nice to be able to sit back and watch it and not contemplate sending the piggy bank to the slaughterhouse. You're safe, Percy. Stand down :pig:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Seriously, if you're from the UK, serious about vintage music and gramophones and you don't already own a 202 (how many do?), you NEED to buy this machine now! For the sake of Western civilization and The British Empire!.......... :lol:

Not having enough money is simply not a good enough excuse. This is the rarest of the best of the best of the last ever acoustic machines. Okay, the big Experts and EMG's are better sound quality but their inherent advantages also contribute to their plain ugliness.

Stop watching, man, and buy it!

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

You're right the - whole stability of the British Empire is at stake !

I am empowered by your argument and a postal order from Queen Victoria to buy this machine

THEN

Ship it to Hampshire and get it converted to a 10b Oversize

THUS

i will have the best of both worlds - The Finest HMV and the finest EMG a sort of Giant Night & Day machine !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

If I didn't know you better I'd say you were joking! :o

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Steve wrote:Seriously, if you're from the UK, serious about vintage music and gramophones and you don't already own a 202 (how many do?), you NEED to buy this machine now! For the sake of Western civilization and The British Empire!.......... :lol:

Not having enough money is simply not a good enough excuse. This is the rarest of the best of the best of the last ever acoustic machines. Okay, the big Experts and EMG's are better sound quality but their inherent advantages also contribute to their plain ugliness.

so I take it you're one of the bidders? or do you have one already?

mjbramham
Victor Jr
Personal Text: The music goes round and around and it comes out here

Post by mjbramham »

Steve wrote:Seriously, if you're from the UK, serious about vintage music and gramophones and you don't already own a 202 (how many do?), you NEED to buy this machine now! For the sake of Western civilization and The British Empire!.......... :lol:

You're right, of course.

Anyone want to buy a car? :lol:

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

Of COURSE i have one already (Already)

As Sir Henry Rawlinson would say :

"I want me 202's like me Pheasants & me Women !

By the BRACE !

David Spanovich
Victor II

Post by David Spanovich »

I'm wondering about two things -- whether the finish is, indeed, all original and what the state of the horn is.

Looking at the dark, chocolate brown finish on the legs and inside panels of the doors, which does look original, I see no similarity between that and the rest of the exterior cabinet, which reflects a reddish hue. Could the cabinet have been extensively "cleaned" at one time?

Also, noticing the corrosion on the motor board's metal plate, and other fittings, I'm wondering if the horn is rusted in places. I don't see any rust spots on the back of the horn, but that would have been protected by the removable back panel. What about the front, which was constantly exposed, like the rest of the metal components, to the high humidity of the region?

I'd look upon this as a real project machine--certainly well-worth restoring because of it's nearly "one of a kind" status, but obviously in need of some drastic TLC.

DS

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

so I take it you're one of the bidders? or do you have one already?

Yes, I already have one otherwise I'd be on this one like a rash! Oh, wait a minute my example is only a lowly OAK version. Maybe I should spring another $15,000 for this one as well? :monkey:

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

if it really sells as low as some people have predicted, I don't see why you wouldn't spring for it, considering what I've come to understand as the difficulty of procuring decent machines of the larger variety in the UK (that really must be quite frustrating, especially when you read about the real treasures and rarities still routinely stumbled upon by some people in the US who really have little if any interest in them, beyond dollar value).