GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Re: Indian Teak 202 on UK Ebay

Post by GMEMG »

That's a really good point - which is more attractive :

one of these in "British Indiah Brown"

or a "Vernis Martin" Victrola

I'd have to go for the latter - it'll work out slightly cheaper than yer genuine Fragonard (already)!

I think the exterior - far from being re - finished is just sunbleached, and don't forget that teak is full of natural oils which under certain conditions can "Throw off" the finish - and sometimes the trademark as well

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

just over $5350 and counting down the last minutes....will this break $10k? I'm curious....

Sean

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Yeah, I had bid it up for a while, but this one was just slightly too rich for my blood. GBP 5069!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

And the final hammer price: $7,865.62 (USD).

Comments? I was expecting this to go much higher....

Sean

Calle
Victor O

Post by Calle »

Well... as Starkton already mentioned:
GMEMG wrote:
it must be worth $15,000 i would imagine
But only if at least two Asians could warm to the idea of purchasing it. Otherwise half that price is more realistic.
He's right !
I think it's a realistic price... Would you pay more for a phonograph you've never seen in person ?
And... don't forget the shipping costs and the costs for restoring...

I'm also suspicious about the "quality" (as David Spanovich also mentioned).
In my opinion the case has been "cleaned" before and I think the metal parts are partly painted in black... I can't imagine that the parts in the case are rusted and the parts outside are well preserved...

Also: probably the hinge from the lid is polished... It's shiny and looks like brass...

BTW: I also don't see the remark "Close lid whilst playing" in the lid...

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Interesting that the turn table felt shows evidence that a 7 inch record was left on it for an extended period. Usually the dark area is from a 10 inch record.

Anyone know the seller? the buyer?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Retrograde wrote:Anyone know the seller? the buyer?
Who knows, maybe a member of the infamous "ring" got it. :?
Best regards ... AZ*

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Ok, the final bid has rolled in and it made just a shade over £5,000. The winner used sniper software so only he knows how much higher he would have gone to. Maybe a bid of £6,000 WAS submitted that way?

Anyway, I think the machine sold for about the right amount. We're in the worst financial state we've been in since WW2 and it's a bad time to sell anything at the moment. Also, this 202 was not a good one for the following reasons:

1. Grille cloth has been replaced
2. Cabinet has been rubbed down / faded considerably giving it that patchy uneven appearance
3. Plating is quite worn and rusty in places
4. It is a TEAK machine from India - many collectors just don't 'understand' the concept of genuine Indian machines and / or believe the dishonest claptrap peddled by certain 'experts' about the origins and quality of Colonial models.
5. The soundbox bezzel was split and the back-plate was badly distorted. This would be a costly repair / replacement (if you could find one?)

Anyone else got any views on this?

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Steve wrote: 5. The soundbox bezzel was split and the back-plate was badly distorted. This would be a costly repair / replacement (if you could find one?)

Anyone else got any views on this?
I noticed the damaged soundbox. But I guess a new 5A wouldn't be that expensive. Maybe GBP 50? Peanuts for someone who can afford to plunk down GBP 5000!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Bart, silver oxide 5a's are extemely hard to find, and if you could find one, they'd probably cost you 3 or 4 times what regular 5a's sell for.