EMGs - Who sells them?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

EMGs - Who sells them?

Post by Garret »

Who sells EMG gramophones? Is there anyone in the U.K. outside of a certain circle of collectors that seems to have cornered the market?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: EMGs - Who sells them?

Post by gramophoneshane »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck with that one Garret ;)

Personally, if I didn't have to option of buying one in my own country & wanted to avoid the UK ring of dealers/collectors, then the only other place I'd buy one is from this guy in Japan.

http://umeya.bz/

You'll pay top dollar, but at least you'd know you'll get a totally genuine item that will arrive in one piece.
Other than that, keep an eye on ebay around the world, be prepared to out bid everyone else, then cross your fingers that the seller packs it properly for shipping.
I guess the thing to remember is that EMG/Expert machines are rare & desirable, and most change hands privately amoung collector friends & wont even be advertised for sale. You'd probably find it easier to get hold of an Idealia or Class M.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

From personal knowledge, I agree that the best examples rarely come onto the open market.

Two recent examples which were sold at public auction (in July 2011) were the late Roger Thorne's Mark Xb which made £3800 excluding premium, and from another source a Mark IX with a badly drooping horn which made £1100.

They still turn up, but you may have a long wait.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Otherwise, can the magic circle of British collectors be trusted in any way, shape, or form?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Can the magic circle of American, Australian, Canadian, German collectors be trusted in any way, shape, or form?
I'm sure some can & some cant.

All I can say is that Steve was the first collector I communicated with when I got my first computer & started posting on various phono boards about 6 years ago, and he's never given me a single reason not to trust him. He's always helped me anyway he could & done the right thing by me 100%.
As for any of the others, I dont know them anywhere near well enough to make that call.
There is only one person I definately would NOT trust, and that's a certain major UK dealer. Not because of the various stories that have come to light over the last couple years, but because of my own personal (but limited) experiences with this man about 5 or so years ago.

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

I wholeheartedly agree with Shane, Steve is the Leading Collector, he gives his knowledge and experience freely and without obligation to anyone who may ask

When i first saw his collection i was amazed that anyone could assemble such a varied and uniformly superbe collection - each item compliments and enhances the others - the true collection of a Renaissance Prince

How unlike the shabby, mean spirited, secretive , Small minded , gossipy UK collectrs i have encountered - they have the Dealers and the Collectors Society they deserve !

Three Cheers for Steve (who would never charge "Up to £35 for admin expenses !)
Last edited by GMEMG on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

[quote]How unlike the shabby, mean spirited, secretive , Small minded , gossipy UK collectrs i have encountered - they have the Dealers and the Collectors Society they deserve ![unquote]

I am old enough to remember when people bothered to put pen to paper, when more thought was given about what was being written and how it would be construed by the reader. These days it is all too easy to punch the keyboard and press the send button with little or no thought as to the effect on the recipient.

Take care that what you post is accurate and can be verified, otherwise you may add to the volume of misinformation which is already out there. We all have opinions which are bound to differ, but let us stay focused, be objective and above all not get personal.

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

Oh i do Roger Dear Chap !

That's why the UK board is still where it is

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

epigramophone wrote:
How unlike the shabby, mean spirited, secretive , Small minded , gossipy UK collectrs i have encountered - they have the Dealers and the Collectors Society they deserve ![unquote]

I am old enough to remember when people bothered to put pen to paper, when more thought was given about what was being written and how it would be construed by the reader. These days it is all too easy to punch the keyboard and press the send button with little or no thought as to the effect on the recipient.

Take care that what you post is accurate and can be verified, otherwise you may add to the volume of misinformation which is already out there. We all have opinions which are bound to differ, but let us stay focused, be objective and above all not get personal.

ha. I just noticed that the notation at the bottom of the post of which you complained shows that it actually had been edited.

and I still don't get all these uk phono dealer/collector conspiracy theories (the ring???), but even more so I'll never understand the obsession that some people seem to have with perpetually referencing them, if not creating youtube videos about them.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I entirely agree. I don't get it either.

It is a poor reflection of the times we live in when what should be a means of immediate communication between like minded people wishing to share their hobby can sometimes be used as a platform from which to disparage those with whom we may disagree.

There is always the danger that third hand rumour and misinformation may become "fact" by default, and it does our hobby no credit.