EMG, Found in wild.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture

Re: EMG, Found in wild.

Post by Guest »

I have new copies for sale at $70 posted to anywhere in the world. More than half of that goes to the author.
On Ebay or direct from me.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

You can buy this book new via ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMG-Story-Franc ... 45fcfc2371
OOPs! I posted the reply above without signing in.

USlakeside
Victor III

Re: EMG, Found in wild + new picture.

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks for all the replies about my new EMG Mark IX. Ive got the machine back home now and it cleaned up very nicely. The horn is, at the moment, hanging upside down. I noticed an improvement. I am not going to get it near any steam or sand and damage it. I think inverting it is the only approach that sounds safe because it is the slowest and least invasive. NYC is relatively humid compared to where it came from, so the horn is probably absorbing some moisture and gently straightening out. It moves about ¼ inch a day.
Attachments
L1040230.JPG
L1040230.JPG (358.72 KiB) Viewed 3447 times

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

I have seen some horns like this one that had a support bar between the bell and neck of the horn - although whether this was an historical addition or more recent I don't know. Horn "drooping" (for want of a better phrase!) seems to have been a common problem with these. I wouldn't suggest adding a bar to it - but I guess when your not useing it you'll store the horn flat - or would over time this cause the horn opening to become eliptical LOL!

Nice machine BTW

S-B-H

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

I was considering having something made to support the horn that isn't actually attached, but more slides in place like a padded crutch for keeping it true. Something that can be taken off for playing.

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

The original makers never thought these beasts would survive them and even their children! It actually looks far worse than I thought from your description. But since paper maché is so sensititive a material you need to be very careful in getting the bell up again. I strongly would advise against steaming, that will probably only damage the surfage. A few nights in warm moist well supported surroundings might get the old-un up again, but I think that is quite tricky. Great find nevertheless.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

The droop of the horn probably does not effect the quality of the sound one bit.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I was wondering if the motor is a Collaro or Garrard. Both used the same bedplate, but the motors are slightly different, and the Collaro afaik was more expensive, so I'm guessing it's a Collaro?

I'm afraid I disagree that altering the shape of the bend in the horn would have no effect on sound quality. What should be a round sound path is now oval, so it will have narrowed the path half way up the horn.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

I havent opened up the case, but the dust rim like piece around the turn table is stamped "Garrard". As far as the sound quality, I am sure it has some impact because it has narrowed the throat of the horn. However, I am more concerned about it bending over the next few years even more until it folds, then its a real problem. Its mostly about preserving it. The upside down hang has proven a great success thus far.

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

In my experience a sagging EMG horn makes no difference to the sound quality - i have had several with very saggy horns and compared them with "Erect" versions and there was no descernable difference (I wish i had a sound camera in those days but will try and re - create the experiment for U - Tube soon)

The theories on sound waves and pathways seem incorrect in practice - have a look at my video where i put 4ft of tube between machine and horn and decide for yourselves - i enjoy experimenting !

[YouTubeHD]http://youtu.be/cNDdm0ty1IQ[/YouTubeHD]

I recently listened to a Large Expert with a massive dent in the back section (It resembled a Viva - tonal tonearm) it also had a chunk out of the front of the horn which had been badly re - glued and neither seemed to influence the sound at all !

I should point out that EMG horns are Metal to approx ⅔ of the horn and Expert to ¾ with just the front as a Papier -mache bucket - that's why EMG's sag to a greater extent than Experts
Last edited by GMEMG on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.