EMG, Found in wild.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: EMG, Found in wild.

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's an Expert ad.... This is taken from a gramophone handbook published by The Gramophone magazine . It's undated but I think they first offered it about 1932. " Designed by an Idealist: Tuned by a musician..."

Jim
Attachments
Expert2.jpg

Gordon

Post by Gordon »

[quote="Guest"]I have new copies for sale at $70 posted to anywhere in the world. More than half of that goes to the author.
On Ebay or direct from me.[/quote]

Or you can buy direct from the publisher for list price which is somewhat less.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks for the book info. Need to get the machine tuned up before I buy the book I believe. :) Much appreciated!

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I looked into getting a copy of this as well. the book seems available here (along with several other strange titles)...

http://www.oldbakehouseprint.co.uk/misc.html

but I think the price is so cheap, relative to the ebay listings (and others I've seen on amazon, used) because it's paperback, whereas the others are hardcover.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

I rebuilt the reproducer on my EMG and WOW. I had no idea it would actually sound THAT good. I'm sure in the right hands it could even be tuned better, but as is, it's really impressive. I am a machine collector, not a record collector, but this is adding a whole new dimension. With the lid closed you can barely tell its playing off a phonograph at all, you just hear the music and the faintest evidence of a needle on the record. Such rich sound, I am hearing parts of records I didn't hear when they are played on a regular Victor IV or V. I'd like to grab some fibre needles to see how they sound. I see why people who are serious about records get these machines.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

brianu wrote:I looked into getting a copy of this as well. the book seems available here (along with several other strange titles)...

but I think the price is so cheap, relative to the ebay listings (and others I've seen on amazon, used) because it's paperback, whereas the others are hardcover.
If a number of US readers (like myself) are interested in this do you think it would pay to order a quantity shipped to one address to save on international postage?

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

Yes USL, an EMG with a well-restored soundbox is simply THE best sounding acoustic gramophone. It was developed by and for music and sound enthousiasts.

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

I'm sorry to say that you won't buy any copies of Frank's book from that link - it's years out of date and they don't have any copies available now !

Why can't Fabrizio & Paul "do" an EMG/Expert Volume ? (with a free CD ?)

That's what some of us are dreaming of - a Complete selection of machines, lots of Clear COLOUR pictures, clear and relevant text and as many of the soundboxes and accessories pictured as ossible

Oh well, we can all dream !

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I love all the misinformation posted by self-appointed experts, such as:
brianu wrote:I looked into getting a copy of this as well. the book seems available here (along with several other strange titles)...

AND
GMEMG wrote:I'm sorry to say that you won't buy any copies of Frank's book from that link - it's years out of date and they don't have any copies available now !
I ordered a copy from that very link. It cost 15 quid plus shipping, and it arrived today less than a week after ordering, IN HARDBACK.

Check your facts, guys.
Best regards ... AZ*

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

AZ* wrote:I love all the misinformation posted by self-appointed experts, such as:

AND
GMEMG wrote:I'm sorry to say that you won't buy any copies of Frank's book from that link - it's years out of date and they don't have any copies available now !
I ordered a copy from that very link. It cost 15 quid plus shipping, and it arrived in less than a week, IN HARDBACK.

Check your facts, guys.

are you looking for an argument or just being a [donkey]. self-appointed experts? I appointed myself to/as nothing, merely provided a link to a place where I thought paperbacks were being sold, in an attempt to understand why the ebay seller and some on amazon wanted so much more. note, I said "I think" when I wrote what I did because I wasn't sure. so, great, you've shown that cheaper hardcover volumes of a particular book are available. awesome. I imagine I've been "served."