EMG, Found in wild.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
USlakeside
Victor III

EMG, Found in wild.

Post by USlakeside »

So I had thrown out some EMG questions a while back, but hesitated to say that I had this one on the way. I wanted it to arrive before I mentioned it. I have really NO clue about these beyond the basics I read online. I don't know the model or anything. It may be a "IX". The horn has ray-skin like interior, with a faint gold which definitely looks original. The exterior has a faux snake skin texture. I havent assembled it yet, because the horn does look stressed at the bend and need to investigate. Its electric and says "EMG" on a little white tag. The interior and case are really really nice. I'd say its in great shape. Not exactly the most pleasing visually, which makes me on the fence about it, but still cool. Any info?!!?
Attachments
IMAG0093.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Re: EMG, Found in wild.

Post by JohnM »

Looks a lot like the one I posted about that was in New Mexico and advertised on Craigslist; and that someone else on the board alleged was a scam with a photo stolen from UK eBay. Would you mind clarifying this for me?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Two things. It was more expensive, and it wasn't a scam. I worked with the people over the phone. When I saw the UK eBay comment I was very distressed, thinking I had really screwed up, so I waited to chime in until it was here in the flesh.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I've never seen one of these which was visually pleasing in its entirety. Usually they're like yours- what appears to be an attractive portable with a cartoonish growth. Still, the appearance wasn't the point- they positively flew in the face of aesthetics.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Properly serviced these machines represent the absolutely best you can get from acoustical reproduction. They are fantastic sounding.

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

This is most probably the real McCoy. And those horns aren't the most nice looking contraptions, but they sure do work! A well set-up EMG is amongst the best sounding acoustic gramophones and one of its major advantages is is that it will play just about every record perfectly, be it an early Berliner or a late '30s hot jazz number.
They were made for they serious music lover, who didn't want to throw away his precious older records when electric recording took over. EMG and its offshoot Expert were a kind of white elephants, still making upmarket acoustic gramophones when most other companies had switched over to electric reproduction.
But fellow members could tell much more about that. I've heard two or three in the flesh and I really like the sound of them, particularly with operatic records. But they need space to really sparkle. This is not a machine for a small 10 by 10 room.
A friend of mine had one, but sold it because his living room was too small for it to come alive. Mind you, he bought it for 1500 old Dutch guilders and sold it back to the same dealer for 1500 euros, making a 120% profit in slightly more than 2 years. These machines are rare and incredibly sought after and hence quite pricey.
You are very lucky to have found one in this condition. The horn is made of papier maché and looks to be allright.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Great. Glad you got it.

So, were GMEMG and Vintage Tech who implied it was a scam simply mistaken, or were they just speculating (as in you can't believe everything you read on this board?)

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... &hilit=emg
Best regards ... AZ*

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

What soundbox is on the machine?
If the craigslist picture is anything to go by, the horn has a severe sag in it, and that will have a big impact on sound quality unfortunately. No doubt it will still blow the socks off a Crudenza, provided it has a good EMG soundbox on it.

To me it looks like a little Mark 9, which I think was introduced in 1929, but I dont know too much about these myself so dont quote me on it :)
Your example would date from 1930 or later due to the tonearm used.

GMEMG
Victor O
Personal Text: Colonel Mustard

Post by GMEMG »

It's very strange that a Craislist vendor chooses to replicate the picture - taken from precisely the angle as a UK Ebay listing (the Ebay listing i thought of actually has a Mk Xa Horn on a Mk 9 base)

EMG's are unique machines and have lead usually strange lives so no two are alike - one with preceisely the same fold appeared in the "Roger thorne sale" as Lot 591 in July - when i saw it i couldn't imagine how the sound came out - the photo in the catalogue is (as usual) slighly deceptive BUT the craigslist listing shows the bell of the horn at the same angle as the "Roger Thorne" example

how long would it take to go from Newbury, UK to New Mexico ?

and why would the buyer (Who paid a large sum ) want to list on craigslist for less than the value of the soundbox ?

BUT the Mk 9 is a good machine - i was perfectly happy with my one (originally owned by C.S.Lewis)and only sold it when i wanted something bigger - (Which i sold to an American - Lord Rendlesham)

and now i Have an Expert Junior which i regard as better than anything i have used so far - I hope to replace that with an Expert All - range soon

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

If the horn has a sag is it not possible to reverse this by suspending it upside down for a period in a controlled damp environment? I thought I remembered that someone had done this with some success - although I can't remember where I read it - possibly on the first UK forum now defunct? or whetehr I've simply imagined it.