The holy grail of HMV Machines turned up on eBay

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

The holy grail of HMV Machines turned up on eBay

Post by JHolmesesq »

Well I was quite surprised when I was browsing the eBay listings today to see that a HMV Model 1-A, with the automatic record changer and remote control had turned up for the princely sum of £5000.

Click here to see the listing!

In my opinion it's pretty overpriced especially since the seller doesn't know if it works or not, as it has always been a "conversation piece".

What do you think?

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: The holy grail of HMV Machines turned up on eBay

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

I note that the description on ebay states that this was the most expensive and largest acoustic machine offered by HMV...but is this true...is the horn as big as the largest re-enterent horn gramophones such as the 202? I am curious.

For a moment from the samll photos I thought this was Moos machine which then passed to Carsten..but nice as this machine is it is nothing comparted to that one which really was a "one off".

As to value - it will be interesting to see how this machine does. I'll be watching....ummm I wonder how much the shiping would be from SA to NZ........LOL!

S-B-H

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

Afaik it had the 193 horn turned sideways. I've seen one in working condition, many moons ago,the asking price then was 10,000 Dutch guilders (more or less the opening bid).
This one quite probably will go for quite a bit more

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Thanks for the info Shane and Peter - I thought that this machine must be significantly samller than the largest of the re-enterants. It's an interesting machine - but that is a hell of a lot of cash...and its untested..

I remember that one that moo had was a b**ger to get to work properly. I think in the end he gave up and sold it to Carsten in the hope he could sort it out. Whether he did (and if he couldn't then no body could!!) manage to get the auto changer to work correctly I'm not sure.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Carsten did in fact get the changer running and working properly. I don't know if he kept the machine or sold it later though.

Sean

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

OrthoSean wrote:Carsten did in fact get the changer running and working properly. I don't know if he kept the machine or sold it later though.

Sean
I'm sure most of the members here have seen this, but just in case -- http://myvintagetv.com/updatepages1/HMV1A.htm

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I'd not seen the video. Thanks much for posting. There's no mention of what type of needle used. Does anyone know?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

The recommended stylus was the Tungstyle (Tungs-Tone)
Here's a paragraph from the previous post's link:

"Up to 20 records were stacked on a magazine on the left side, a Tungstyle needle (the HMV term for the Tungs-Tone stylus) was inserted in the sound box, and the reject button pushed to start the machine. The Model 1 would now play uninterrupted for up to 90 minutes, automatically sensing the size of each 10” or 12” record. The played records were gently deposited in a felt-lined drawer. At any time during play the drawer could be emptied, and the magazine replenished. All controls for the machine were on the outside, and one only needed to open the lid to replenish the records or to change the needle."
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I wonder if it will be relisted, or if someone might buy it post auction at a more sensible price?
I would guess that 'a more sensible price' in todays market would be £2,500-3,000. But given that the prospective buyer is unlikely to live anywhere near to the machine and it comes untested, I would say that it won't be relisted or offered at the right price but even if it was, there would still be no takers whatsoever.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote: I would guess that 'a more sensible price' in todays market would be £2,500-3,000.
Imagine this price for the "holy grail" of Victor, Columbia or Edison machines.