The holy grail of HMV Machines turned up on eBay

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: The holy grail of HMV Machines turned up on eBay

Post by gramophoneshane »

Lucius1958 wrote:
gramophoneshane wrote: Not that I'm aware of, but then why would a disinterested person bother?
*flashes special 'Grammar Police Junior Deputy' badge*

Well, a disinterested person might, if asked politely: an uninterested person wouldn't....... :ugeek:
LOL, quite true :D
Still, I doubt you'd find many 203/202 and/or Automatic 1 owners who would allow either a disinterested or uninterested person to remove their grille & poke wire down the horn to take measurements. I dont think I even know another 202 owner who would be willing to remove the grille themselves lol.

Steve E.
Victor Jr

Post by Steve E. »

I believe it is the same South African originating machine in the OP that has just been relisted on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-RARE-1929- ... 3a6fd61342

Here's another video of a working HMV 1A. The way it casually tosses records in the bin is a HOOT. I wonder how typical it was for records to shatter, let alone get scraped? I'd think that the casualties would increase the closer you got to the full stack of 20. It made me laugh hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsF64uka ... re=related

Having never heard any of the competing large-horn models, I am impressed that the thing obviously has a pretty decent bass response, even in this not-so-carefully recorded clip.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It certainly is the same machine from the same seller, except this time it's listed for a more reasonable price.
It should be interesting to see if it gets any bids this time. Im kind of doubting it will, unless there's someone in Africa wanting one. Once transport costs are added to the opening bid, it puts the cost of getting the machine to another country way over it's true value IMO.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It's amusing that HMV found it necessary to label the button with the word BUTTON. Even then there were customers who had to be led by the hand.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Enjoyed the video. A fascinating machine!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.