HMV 193/194 vs. HMV 202

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

HMV 193/194 vs. HMV 202

Post by Garret »

Greetings!

I was wondering - can anyone tell me more about the sound difference in the HMV gramophones, especially the 193, as compared to the 202? Does anyone know how much they run for these days in terms of prices?

Your input is really appreciated!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: HMV 193/194 vs. HMV 202

Post by Steve »

Pricing is difficult to predict as you are probably already aware that the 202 is something of a rarity (even in its native UK)and the biggest horn of the internal Orthophonic type. However a lot of the collectors who want one have probably already got one by now? The marketplace is not exactly full of 'up and coming' and youngbloods. And with a historical price range anything between $8000 and $25,000, they don't (usually) come cheap either.

But hey, the world is in a mess at this moment in time and the potential fruitful Asian market has other more important concerns like surviving and dealing with earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear fall-out!

The 193 is a nice sounding machine but the 202 is much much better in all departments: volume, bass, treble, sound-staging and forwardness of tone. It's almost impossible to beat were it not for the EMG and Expert horn machines with those big papier mache horns and 11 foot long acoustic systems. The 193 however can be easily beaten by the modest EMG Mark 9.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I had archived the following information about HMV horn sizes, posted several years ago by a member of the old OTVMMB --

HMV 157 -- 5 ft. folded horn -- two partitions
HMV 163 -- 6 ft. re-entrant style horn -- four partitions
HMV 193/194 -- 7 ft. re-entrant style horn -- four partitions
HMV 202/203 -- 9 ft. re-entrant style horn -- four partitions

The 202 would be about a foot or so longer than the one used in the 10-50, and should exceed it's bass performance, while offering the advantages of a solid plated steel horn. With the more powerful Orthophonic sound box in place of the HMV 5a, it would probably blast the plaster off the walls, especially if a loud tone needle is used.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Thank you both for the input. I appreciate it!

Best,

Garret