Melba at Hayes

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Melba at Hayes

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

This surfaced and I thought I'd scan it before it vanished .It's the cornerstone laying ceremony for the Hayes factory . The picture appeared in the Illustrated London News for June 1, 1907. The fellow speaking on Melba's behalf in the photograph must in fact be J W Taverner, because it certainly isn't the Gramophone Company's Trevor Williams. Melba was always uncomfortable speaking in public. Landon Ronald , her accompanist and later principal of the Guildhall School of Music,tells of her attack of nerves during an address to the assembled students.

Melba's feather boa is impressive by any standards.

Jim
Attachments
IMG.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Melba at Hayes

Post by epigramophone »

......and here is Chaliapin opening the new recording studios at Hayes in 1913.

See how he dwarfs everyone else in the picture, especially the Gaisberg brothers standing at the left.
Attachments
001.jpg

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

I love that photo. The event was far more casual than the Melba Moment..especially the lad at the right slouching against the gate with a cigarette in his hand! I wonder who these folks are, other than Fred ,Will and Feodor? Any ideas? Chaliapin and Gaisberg were great friends. Fred the mighty atom, to quote Gerald Moore, was one of the few people who could. Effectivley manage Chaliapin in all his moods.

Jim.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If you loved that photo, you might also like this one.

John McCormack outside the Abbey Road Studios, with Fred Gaisberg and Rex Palmer.

The car is a Rolls-Royce Phantom II of about 1930/31, one of several Rolls-Royces owned by McCormack during his long and successful career.
Attachments
001.jpg

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

That is a great photo. Rex Palmer was an interesting creature. He even did a kids show on the BBC as Uncle Rexy! He's the voice that narrates that Pathé " Magic Box " film about the HMV company. And a wonderful film it is!

Jim