Expert Senior.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Frankia
Victor I

Expert Senior.

Post by Frankia »

Just to add to people's visual experience of these things, here are a few photos of the Expert Senior that is residing with me presently. (Note the language. Sadly I don't own it, but whenever finances eventually permit, I intend to change that!)
The tone arm is situated at the right hand front of the playing area unlike Orchosol's Junior which is in the middle right side. This gramophone has an electric motor. It provides a lovely mellifluous complement to the EMG sound.

Both the photo of the open case and the horn need to be rotated clockwise but I can't upload the rotated version. If any compassionate soul can put me and the photographs out of our misery, I'd appreciate it! Apologies!
Attachments
P1000489.JPG
P1000484.JPG
P1000486.JPG
P1000485.JPG
P1000483.JPG

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Expert Senior.

Post by Orchorsol »

Fantastic too see, many thanks indeed for posting!

Looks like somebody has added a heavy cast turntable platter at some point? That would presumably be an interesting improvement in speed stability and I imagine a further refinement of bass response - solidity and "timing" as modern audiophiles call it - and it's something I've been interested in experimenting with at some point, without making any irreversible changes to my Expert or EMG of course.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

One thing you can do to improve the sound is to drive the turntable with a regulated DC power supply / electric motor. I have used a small DC motor and power supply from Origin Live. It's astonishing the difference a motor can make!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Amazing machines. It's also interesting that audiophiles in the UK maintained the demand for further refinement of acoustic reproduction so long after it had been abandoned across the pond.

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Orchorsol wrote:Fantastic too see, many thanks indeed for posting!

Looks like somebody has added a heavy cast turntable platter at some point? That would presumably be an interesting improvement in speed stability and I imagine a further refinement of bass response - solidity and "timing" as modern audiophiles call it - and it's something I've been interested in experimenting with at some point, without making any irreversible changes to my Expert or EMG of course.
I didn't realise that the turnable was an addition. Nor did I think of how it might affect bass response! Glad to learn - thanks!

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Steve wrote:One thing you can do to improve the sound is to drive the turntable with a regulated DC power supply / electric motor. I have used a small DC motor and power supply from Origin Live. It's astonishing the difference a motor can make!

Really?! I really am intrigued! Will have to inquire further into that. I'd never have thought a motor would affect sound apart from the obvious issues of pitch. Thanks for that.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'd never have thought a motor would affect sound apart from the obvious issues of pitch. Thanks for that.
Oh yes! If you think about it, it is entirely the job of the motor to pull the needle through the groove with absolute stability, accuracy and consistency to ensure that the needle can track every modulation of the groove and exert consistent pressure along the way. The way in which it does this will affect the quality of the reproduced (amplified) sound. Admittedly, the difference made by a DC motor is FAR greater appreciated with micro-groove records but the 'effect' can still be heard with these machines compared to an unworn spring motor.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Thank you for posting these photos. It is wonderful to see so many of these lovely machines together in one place. Both of the machines you have posted look fantastic. Except...
Orchorsol wrote:Looks like somebody has added a heavy cast turntable platter at some point?
I think that modification looks horrible. Visually it is totally inappropriate; a 1980s addition to a 1930s machine? I wonder if the motor itself has also been modified.

I agree with Orchorsol that such experiments are fine as long as all the original parts are retained and the machine can always be returns to its original condition. Unfortunately when original parts are removed, they are often separated from the machine and lost, making this impossible.

Will this one also feature on your YouTube channel?

Without a protractor one cannot be sure, but I think the needle angle you use is a little shallower than I have often seen employed. The advice I have heard is to adopt a different for fibres and thorns. Since I use both but do not like to re-adjust the sound box at every instance, I have adopted a compromise, so probably I am in the wrong. I must experiment with the shallower angle for thorns and see how it works here.

Many thanks again for sharing.

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

DD2U, thanks for your comments. I hadn't heard about a different soundbox angle for thorns and bamboos. I use a cardboard cut out copy of the incline that was recommended by - possibly - Percy Wilson in the Wilson and Webb book, but I'm very open to correction on where the source of the angle came from. I do remember the source as being recommended and reputable and it's the same angle as used by two other owners, but discussion like this brings new information, insights etc!
Do you know what the different angles were for bamboos and thorns?
So the turntable is a later addition? It actually tried to kill me a few times! I discovered eventually that it was static from the carpet and nothing more. I love the gramophone though.
Have just uploaded an attempt at comparing it and the EMGCR in a separate thread.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

EMG offered a needle angle gauge made of balsa wood or something similar. I sold one a few years ago.

I understand that they were also made in an early form of plastic.