EMGCR and Expert Senior playing the same performance.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: EMGCR and Expert Senior playing the same performance.

Post by Steve »

The Expert still wins every time.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

I like the large Expert for it's "forward" tone, but for delicacy of instrumentals and solo voices, I would say the 10 or the 10b Davey machines would win my vote any time. The ultimate gramophone for me is the 10b oversize. It hits the right notes, and can handle just about anything thrown at it! The Fibreglass horns are beautifully made, and Graham must be congratulated for all the time, effort and great expense, in bringing these machines into being. If I had the money, I would be at his door tomorrow!

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

old country chemist wrote:I like the large Expert for it's "forward" tone, but for delicacy of instrumentals and solo voices, I would say the 10 or the 10b Davey machines would win my vote any time. The ultimate gramophone for me is the 10b oversize. It hits the right notes, and can handle just about anything thrown at it!
Totally agreed! Although I prefer my Expert for a certain minority of records, and as mentioned elsewhere, some other records don't come over fantastically well on either, and are better listened to with more modern equipment.
old country chemist wrote:The Fibreglass horns are beautifully made, and Graham must be congratulated for all the time, effort and great expense, in bringing these machines into being. If I had the money, I would be at his door tomorrow!
So would I, like a shot. They surpass even the originals in precision and attention to detail - e.g. I discovered that the inside surfaces of the soundpath of my Xb are very poorly finished (lumps and bumps from the casting process) whereas Graham's newly manufactured conduits are perfect. And contrary to what might be read elsewhere, absolutely no complete, original, good machine has either been "parted out" or modified for the project - fact.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

old country chemist wrote: The ultimate gramophone for me is the 10b oversize. It hits the right notes, and can handle just about anything thrown at it! The Fibreglass horns are beautifully made, and Graham must be congratulated for all the time, effort and great expense, in bringing these machines into being. If I had the money, I would be at his door tomorrow!
I have to agree. I've had this EMGCR for over a year now. It is an absolute delight - the finest sounding gramophone in the house. Even though it's not well suited to the space it's housed in here and can be too loud at times and even strident, it still produces the most melodic and musical reproduction on about 85 per cent of records. It's beautiful bass sound intermingling with its uncanny ability to bring out little details in the treble and mid range can make for a delightful sound. Mind you I'm also very fond of the Senior and the EMG Xb as well!

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

So would I, like a shot. They surpass even the originals in precision and attention to detail - e.g. I discovered that the inside surfaces of the soundpath of my Xb are very poorly finished (lumps and bumps from the casting process) whereas Graham's newly manufactured conduits are perfect. And contrary to what might be read elsewhere, absolutely no complete, original, good machine has either been "parted out" or modified for the project - fact.

That is true regarding the conduits. I came across a whole boxful of them on one of my visits and noted the precision of the finish.
Of course no good machines have been taken apart or renovated in the reproducing of these instruments! All one has to do is go there and see the cases being worked on and those awaiting attention for oneself, as I have done on several occasions!! However the beauty of the finished product is breathtaking.
I can't think of a greater service that has been done to the gramophone fraternity than that project of Graham Rankin's.