EMGCR and Expert Senior playing the same performance.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Frankia
Victor I

EMGCR and Expert Senior playing the same performance.

Post by Frankia »

Just for fun, having an unexpected bit of free time last night, I thought I'd see if I could upload the EMGCR and the Expert Senior playing the same performance. It's not a fair comparison of course, with the Senior horn being several inches smaller in diameter than the EMGCR. Also I recorded the complete movement which fills both sides of the record. The second side had some of the more distinct sounds for listening purposes but the music sounded so strange plunging into the middle of it by just starting with the second side....!
No idea if the links will translate to the forum or not....

Oh yes...I used the same thorn needle for both recordings.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDZmHESH8g[/youtube] Expert Senior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWuXVKZw8Y[YouTube][/YouTube]

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: EMGCR and Expert Senior playing the same performance.

Post by Steve »

'Private Video' - so, no, it doesn't work!

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Steve wrote:'Private Video' - so, no, it doesn't work!
Many thanks! Now changed.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

There are both working here now.

I am ashamed to say that I cannot hear a difference except in pitch (and maybe in room ambience).

Thank you for uploading them though. They are enjoyable to listen to. It is interesting to know that whatever differences exist are lost due to the limits of the camera's microphone, YouTube, and my ears.

What is your impression? What differences can be heard there in the room?

CptBob
Victor I
Personal Text: CptBob - that's my tandem name

Post by CptBob »

Ahh - warm glow. That is such a good piece - one of my faves. Mendelssohn at his best, do you have the rest of it and can you upload it? The first movement especially - it's like a little piano concerto.

I can't comment on the sound, but when I've got a bit more time I'll plug my pooter into my hi-fi and have a proper listen to both again.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The funny thing is that the Expert actually sounds better but it might be down to the room acoustics and the compression of the 'digital data' in the cameras microphone. The Expert sounds richer and more forward in tone with better piano. The EMGCR sounds a little too strident for my delicate ears. With the microphone used and all other digital compression / artifacts to take into consideration, not least the room itself and the distance from the machines to the microphone, we can't really tell for sure. Only the uploader can!

CptBob
Victor I
Personal Text: CptBob - that's my tandem name

Post by CptBob »

Yes, you'd have to be there! After listening to both of them again I like the Expert better, but whether that's the recording, the room or anything else about it. The 'cello certainly sounded both warmer and fuller in its lower register. An enjoyable quarter of an hour, thank you.

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Thought provoking how differently we all can hear something! In the room itself, the Oversize would have had the richer deeper sound by a considerable head. Also the Expert was a bit too quiet for my liking. When listening to it using my headphones, I still can hear that same difference, but we have to allow that part of what I'm hearing could be the impression of what it was like in the room.
Generally speaking I find the Senior to have less bass than the EMGCR as you might expect, and the same was true in the room for this recording.
My quite ordinary camera may well not be able for the louder soundwaves. The camera was more or less where it usually is for recordings I think. In addition I've discovered that for youtube one needs to have headphones, or perhaps listen through a sound system as CptBob mentioned. Please come back with your impressions after doing that!
There's a whole other side to the thing too - and that is that different peoplewant different things - are moved or inspired by different types of sound. I'm reminded of myself and someone else listening to a HMV 163 and then listening to the same record on a Cliftophone. "Well the Cliftophone wins out there" he said as if there couldn't possibly be any argument about it. Meanwhile I was quietly relishing the obvious superiority of the HMV 163!! In that case one of us was the type who listens for the soloist or main melody in a piece and the other had an emphasis on the background or surrounding ambience of the music.
When I get spare time again, I might upload a different record where I felt that the Expert had more to offer in the room and see what that sounds like.
Thanks for the interesting feedback.

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

CptBob wrote:Ahh - warm glow. That is such a good piece - one of my faves. Mendelssohn at his best, do you have the rest of it and can you upload it? The first movement especially - it's like a little piano concerto.

Yes I have it all here and will be glad to oblige, but just not for a while. My spare time is very unpredictable and liable to be interrupted. Glad to hear that you share my liking for the piece!

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

The video has been blocked by Orchard Music EMI. They have a nerve.

Jim