The Flamephone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone78
Victor VI

The Flamephone

Post by gramophone78 »

I found this British ad the other day. A Flamephone...????. You can warm yourself while listening to your favorites.... :shock:. Would this not warp the record??. Do any of our UK member know of one that has survived??. I for one for love to see this.
Flamephone.JPG

CptBob
Victor I
Personal Text: CptBob - that's my tandem name

Re: The Flamephone

Post by CptBob »

What will they think of next! That would go well with my grandma's 1920s Christmas tree candles holders. They've been consigned to the attic, but in a past, young and foolish life, they came out every Christmas. That advert just illustrates how the world has changed.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Bell & Tainter produced a modulated flame Graphophone for experimental purposes in the mid-1880's.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The advert is familiar but I have never seen an actual machine, not that one would be of any use to me.

There is no mains gas supply in my village, and connecting a Flamephone to an LPG cylinder would be a dangerous experiment :!:

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Just imagine. You could listen to your favorite record and roast marshmallows at the same time. :lol:

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

CptBob
Victor I
Personal Text: CptBob - that's my tandem name

Post by CptBob »

epigramophone wrote: There is no mains gas supply in my village, and connecting a Flamephone to an LPG cylinder would be a dangerous experiment :!:
That's a shame - and I was thinking it would be great to take camping.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

I first came upon "FLAMEPHONE" from an advertisment in an old gramophone magazine, and was fascinated by it's excentric features. So I decided to go one better, and produce a cartoon drawing of what I thought the machine should be like.
Attachments
flameophone.JPG

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Appologies to all! The wording on the cartoon is as follows.

"THIS BRILLIANT AURAL AND VISUAL MACHINE COMBINES THE BEST OF BEAUTY OF TONE, WITH WONDERFUL ATMOSPHERIC CONFLAGRATIONS, IN WELL CONFINED PLACES OF SAFETY.
THIS PARTICULAR MODEL IS NAMED "THE PYROMANIC HARMONIOUS MARK 11". THE TITLE MEANING A GRAMOPHONE PRODUCING THE NEW TYPE "FIRE TONE",IS SUPPLIED WITH A FULL SIZE, STUFFED MODEL OF AN "ANTELUVIAN PERU SCULCH VULTURE". THE CREATURE IS FINISHED IN FINE PASTEL SHADES, GARNISHED IN REAL SPARROW AN DO DO FEATHERS. THE MACHINE IS ALSO SUPPLIED WITH A FINE RECORDING OF THE "FIRE BIRD" MUSIC BY STRANGLEASKY.
THE BEAUTY OF TONE IS PRODUCED THROUGH THREE JETS OF FLAME, SUPPLIED FROM THE DOMESTIC GAS SUPPLY. THE GAS BEING IGNITED, OR COURSE, BEFORE THE RECORD IS PLAYED ON THE GRAMOPHONE.
AT THE TRULY MAGNIFICENT CONCLUSION OF THE "FIRE BIRD" MUSIC, THE GAS JETS AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE IN INTENSITY AND COLOUR, TO GREEN AND RED, CAUSING COMPLETE AND DAINTY CONFLAGRATION OF THE STUFFED BIRD, WHICH AFTER THE DUSPLAY, DROPS NEATLY INTO THE TIN TRAY BEHIND THER GRAMOPHONE"

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Best gramophone cartoon in years. And now I really want to hear Strangleasky. :lol:

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

...and I thought the Paillard Maestrophone with the alcohol powered Stirling engine was a bad idea!

This machine, however, really gives new meaning to the term hot jazz! :lol: