The Micro-Perophone Chromogram

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Retrograde
Victor III

Re: The Micro-Perophone Chromogram

Post by Retrograde »

The cabinets have a HMV-esque look to them. Nothing wrong with that, HMV did up some rather nice cabinets in their day, so it's no surprise that others would follow. :)

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I have always wondered what the horn looked like in these machines. I've read the adverts in The Gramophone and postive review that the Expert Committee gave the machine. Looks as if they used cabinet resonance to their advantage.
Thanks for posting these pics!

Jim

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Retrograde wrote:The cabinets have a HMV-esque look to them. Nothing wrong with that, HMV did up some rather nice cabinets in their day, so it's no surprise that others would follow. :)
Certainly the MP23 cabinet bears more than a passing resemblance to the HMV 511, which I have always thought was one of the most elegant HMV designs.

Going back to an earlier era, when HMV discontinued the bow fronted Library Bijou Grand/Model X there were some cabinets left over. These were re-badged and fitted out as Perophones. I saw one for sale in the 1970's, but did not buy it as the woodworm had got there before me.

Perophone became Micro-Perophone during the late 1920's.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:I have always wondered what the horn looked like in these machines. I've read the adverts in The Gramophone and postive review that the Expert Committee gave the machine. Looks as if they used cabinet resonance to their advantage.
Thanks for posting these pics!

Jim
Perophone was the name adopted by the Lockwood Manufacturing Company when they entered the gramophone market in about 1908.

Lockwood had previously manufactured player pianos, so they would have known all about cabinet resonance.

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

Hello I am new here.In november this year I bought one Perophone model 23 from a friend.This is very nice looking gramophone who have only been owned by one family since new.But I need to find orginal sound box.Is it possible to have photos from this model 23 to show me how it should look like.I found this ticket inside my perophone.Maybe someone here could tell me about it ?

Regards

Sigurbjorn Helgason-Iceland
Attachments
1901550_10152851284818798_7020002170381143424_n.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Here are some pictures of the soundbox fitted to my MP23 which was the original subject of this thread. Of course you will want one for your machine, but for maximum listening pleasure I have had the best results using a "Meltrope I" which gives a really noticeable improvement in sound quality.

I am always interested to hear of any previously unknown Chromograms, and for one to turn up in Iceland is probably unique.
Attachments
MP23 001.JPG
MP23 002.JPG

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

I guess more than this one I own have been imported here in the begin.I have see ads about Micro Perophone in Icelandic newspapers from 1929 - 1930 and all say the Perophone have been top of the line in gramophones those days.One friend has portable Perophone but this one I have is the only I have seen here

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

Also I need to see how your looks like around the platter.Between the needle cups have been something on mine but there is only gaps for screws if you understand me

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

sigurbjorn wrote:Also I need to see how your looks like around the platter.Between the needle cups have been something on mine but there is only gaps for screws if you understand me

Welcome Sigurbjorn. I am a fan of and sometime poster in you FB 78rpm forum too. Bruce J :D

sigurbjorn
Victor O

Post by sigurbjorn »

Nice,yes I am founder of that group and now it is the biggest group about 78 rpm and cylinder on Facebook