HMV 111

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: HMV 111

Post by Orchorsol »

Valecnik wrote:Two very nice stories about the 111 and also the portable. The family history certainly does make them special.

I had the German version of the 111, not sure what it was called, but sold it several years back. I was impressed by the sound quality for such a small machine. It really sounded great. The one thing I did not like about it was that the motor seemed a bit underpowered. I had to wind it all the way to play a record and I was always afraid I would going to break the spring. It never happened though.
The motor on mine is good, it will play at least two sides, and smooth. Yes, excellent sound for the size and for a mica diaphragm! It plays much later records with ease.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Ian wrote:The Columbia in your picture is rather overshadowed by the sight of your handsome Morris Eight Series 'E'. I also run about in one of these, a 1939 model. Great fun!
My 1947 Series E is also a family heirloom. It was purchased by my wife's great uncle in 1952 and eventually bequeathed to my brother-in-law who, after a discreet interval, sold it to me in 1973 for the then going rate of £100.

Needless to say, it remains the best £100 I ever spent.

When I exhibit at classic car shows, I usually take a portable and a few jazz or dance records, which add to the period atmosphere.

Patty
Victor Jr

Post by Patty »

You have a beautiful gramophone and a lovely car!
My grandad gave me a very old Gilbert in 1960 on which I played endless Reginald Dixon at the wurlitzer 78 rpm records on. My Gilbert. Reg Dixon and I were relegated to the greenhouse as no one in the family liked him!.......After a few years My Gilbert ground to a dead stop due to over use and damp conditions in the greenhouse. My next gramophone , a Regal hornless was bought because I found some Reg Dixon records in a charity shop!! The rest is history!
Later the same year, I sat at the console of the tower Wurlitzer........................OH MY!!! I cried!
Music is such a wonderful thing and what I like about acoustic machines is if you rest your ear on the wooden case ....you can FEEL the music..............just as you will with your lovely table grand!