Question for our UK collectors

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Question for our UK collectors

Post by estott »

One problem with Craigslist is that the seller can do pretty much anything they want. I've closed deals and arranged to pick up a very reasonably priced Vocallion machine (in oak), and then heard nothing else from the seller- and I was certain he'd contacted someone else who answered & asked them if they'd offer more.

Sometimes people will list items just to see if they get a response - if the Standard Talking Machine gets a response at $225, then it must be worth more!

phonoman-antique
Victor O

Post by phonoman-antique »

I am confused about this post.I thought Craigslist would have places where
you go and see the machine before you buy.Surely you could tell
if a machine was genuine or not by inspection?Reproduction machines
are very easy to spot.They just can't fake the old look on details.
Am I missing something here?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

phonoman-antique wrote:I am confused about this post.I thought Craigslist would have places where
you go and see the machine before you buy.Surely you could tell
if a machine was genuine or not by inspection?Reproduction machines
are very easy to spot.They just can't fake the old look on details.
Am I missing something here?

Yes you are right, but that is only if you are buying a machine so close to you that you can go see it before you buy it. If you decide to send the money and have it shipped then Craigslist becomes more risky that Ebay.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Until this thread began I was unaware that Craigslist even had a presence in the UK, so out of curiousity I had a look.

Not many machines were listed, but almost all were high end such as Berliner, EMG and Expert. The alarm bells were already ringing when I thought I recognised the background to one of the pictures. It looked like the interior of a mechanical music museum which I have visited in the past, where an EMG was one of the exhibits.

If I was considering a machine in this price range I would insist on a prior inspection, and if successful I would collect it in person and pay cash. I realise that this approach would be impossible for overseas buyers unless they had trusted contacts in the UK who would be willing to act on their behalf, and that would be a big responsibility.

The prospect of a visit by a prospective buyer should send the scammers scurrying back under the stones from which they emerged.