DAVEY ROLLRIGHT SHARPENER

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

DAVEY ROLLRIGHT SHARPENER

Post by old country chemist »

Here is a picture of one of the best thorn needle sharpeners that I have ever used. It takes a little time to get the best out of it, and it is better used on an electrical turntable-probably more torque than a clockwork motor. It is used by holding the gadget with the rubber flanged wheel (on the shaft under the fine grinding wheel), and just using enough pressure to hold the rubber wheel in contact with the revolving turntable. I have several sharpeners, and my second favourite is the "MAL" made by Miles Mallinson, sadly now no longer with us. My third favourite is the Alfred IMHOF sharpener, which was made in garish colours after the war. The earliest IMHOF sharpeners were made of metal, which was stronger, and were often painted green-rare item to find nowadays. Hopefully some of you fibre folk have some that you would like us all to view on the forum. Thanks.
Attachments
DAVEY ROLRIGHT SHARPENER.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: DAVEY ROLLRIGHT SHARPENER

Post by Roaring20s »

I like the novelty of using the the turntable to power the sharpener. :)

The IM Pointmaster is what I use.
I love its ease of use.
IM Pointmaster.jpg
IM Pointmaster.jpg (65.59 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
James.

phonoman-antique
Victor O

Post by phonoman-antique »

Makes me wonder if a pencil sharpner would work?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I agree with our dear Chemist, the Davey is the best I have tried. It allows the user to accurately place the needle at a constant height relative to the sharpening cylinder, and always produces a repetitively conical shape on the needle. All others, including the IM shown above, depend heavily on the uniformity of the rubber wheel, the grinding surface and the skill of the user to achieve a decently symmetrical shape.

The IM can be modified to sharpen bamboo needles, by preventing the tip from spinning. It will result in a sharp angle for the tip, sharper than what the usual bamboo sharpeners produce. This is shown on a wed site from an experimenter that shows how to dope bamboo needles.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

CarlosV wrote:...All others, including the IM shown above, depend heavily on the uniformity of the rubber wheel, the grinding surface and the skill of the user to achieve a decently symmetrical shape....
Agreed. When I purchased it, the rubber wheel was hard and the grinding surface worn. I replace those with a new o-ring and standard fingernail emory board. I make my own needles and the coarse side of the emory board cuts it fast. The finer side of the board keeps the point. There are a few oddly worn discs in my collection benefit from altering the angle, either narrower or broader, to improve the sound quality.

old country chemist, the Davey looks like it would provide uniformity, providing the rubber components are in shape. I this is the first one that I have seen. Thanks for posting it.

James.
Arizona, USA

old country chemist
Victor II

Nice to hear that the IMHOF sharpener can be used for bamboo needles. I had heard about it, but I will try it out in the near future. As "roaring20s" mentions, the rubber wheel often gets hard. I have replaced it, with the white "Dinky" toy spare tyres that can be obtained from toy fairs, and suppliers of spares for toy cars. Black ones are also available. There are different sizes though, and when looking for a new tyre for the sharpener, always take the inside and outside measurements. Finger nail emery board as "roaring20s" also meantions is very good. I have used 180 grade emery, and grittier grades of sandpaper, all to reasonable effect. The IMHOF certainly relies, as other thorn sharpeners of this type, upon the rubber tyre condition, sanding strip, or disc quality, and of course, the amount of needle protruding from the sharpener's chuck, and I have found, also the pressure exerted on the actuating part. I hope to purchase before long, a boxed "Ginn Expert" thorn needle sharpener. A well made thing indeed, and not often seen. Anyone on the forum got one...? Thanks all, for you interesting replies.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

These were made in the later days of Expert. Hand made by Joe Ginn.
They are wonderful sharpeners.
I prefer fiber needles to most others. I have read that if you are not careful they can also damage your records. Using grit papers is fine but there is that chance that a tiny piece of grit will get stuck to the fiber needle turning it into a nasty chisel, cutting up your record grooves.
I always use a stylus brush after sharpening, just to make sure.
The Joe Ginn sharpener does not have that problem as it's abrasive surface is textured metal rather than grit paper.

old country chemist
Victor II

Hello again, Nice to see chunny has one of the hand made Ginn sharpeners. I am going to purchase one of those before long. He is is correct in the fact that sharpening thorns can be a dicey business. When the thorn has been sharpened, there is a good chance that minute microscopic particles of grit are embedded in the part of the needle that you do not want them to be anywhere near. chunny mentions a stylus brush-good idea. I have a little wad of fine compressed felt that I roll the needle point on, before use. Then next time, I turn it a bit to expose a clean non gritty area. There is probably less chance of getting grit embedded on the needle point if emery is used, but I always clean the point,as I said above.