The "MICKEYPHONE" portable gramophone.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

The "MICKEYPHONE" portable gramophone.

Post by old country chemist »

ANOTHER GRAMOPHONE "BUTCHERED" BY MY EFFORTS! Interestingly wierd and wonderful these small machines. I expect some of you have one or two of these small machines. I see them on ebay, and what a price they are. I suppose the quaintness of them appeals to collectors, but you have to spend about 5 minutes assembling any of then before the are fit for playing.
Attachments
mickeyphone.JPG

old country chemist
Victor II

Re: The "MICKEYPHONE" portable gramophone.

the H.M.V. "Lumiere"is a wierd gramophone-so is this cartoon.
Attachments
lumiere.JPG

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

Where were these cartoons published? Are they still available? They would make great prints to hang on a music room wall.

Thanks,
David.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

2Bdecided wrote:Where were these cartoons published? Are they still available? They would make great prints to hang on a music room wall.

Thanks,
David.
he draws them!, and does a good job at it!

old country chemist
Victor II

Hello folks! thanks for your kind comments re the "gramophone" cartoons. I have several more that I may put on-but I am midfull that it may not be amusing to everyone. Here is a list of the ones I did about 20 years ago..
TYRELA. E.M.GINN. MICKEYPHONE, FLAMEPHONE. CASCADE. LUMIERE. CAMERAPHONE and lastly, DUOPHONE.
I used to do lots of cartoon work for a car club that I still belong to-the Austin Ten Drivers Club, and in the 1970s, I produced quite a few, on the style of "Heath Robinson" I did not copy his style-even though it is much admired my myself. Later, I will photograph and send, a picture of a gramophone related Christmas card that I did many years ago.

old country chemist
Victor II

Here is the Christmas card....
Attachments
xmas gramophone cartoon.JPG

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

The cartoons are marvelous! You should have them made up for sale in some format; perhaps a small book or portfolio on really good acid-free paper.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

How about a calendar. The last gramophone calendar I remember, must have been at least 10 years ago.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

chunnybh wrote:How about a calendar. The last gramophone calendar I remember, must have been at least 10 years ago.
Here is the CLPGS 90th Anniversary Calendar issued in 2009, and a very well produced souvenir it is. I personally recruited two new members, including "Old Country Chemist" with the prospect of getting a copy, but a calendar featuring his wonderful cartoons is a great idea.

I will try and talk him into it next time I see him.
Attachments
CLPGS Calendar 001.jpg

CptBob
Victor I
Personal Text: CptBob - that's my tandem name

Post by CptBob »

The direct claw gearing train.... is almost silent in operation, and perfectly silent when not.
:lol: :lol: