What Kind of HMV is This???

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: What Kind of HMV is This???

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I removed the link because the website in question promotes cyber-bullying, which we do not support or tolerate here.

Thanks for your understanding.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Kirtley,

I don't understand why the link was removed by the moderator. Can you please PM it to me?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

JerryVan wrote:The speed control quadrant appears to have been there for a very long time. I can see no other screw holes or traces of any other piece ever having been fitted. Same with the brake.
I think I can! Look at the brake quadrant, and then to the left of it. Can you see two filled holes, not as far apart as the speed quadrant holes? Looks like that's where the original brake was fitted. On the other side, look where the existing brake is, then follow down towards the corner of the cabinet. Two widely spaced filled holes where the original speed control was?
But that in itself goes against the illustration in the "His Master's Gramophone" book, where all three similar models have the speed control on the right. And it shows your machine with an entirely different arm. Hmmm.........

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

kirtley2012 wrote:its the biggest hole in the middle... yey i win :lol:
i have a hmv 31, they are very nice machines indeed!, the horn on mine was previously repainted to black, i scraped off part of the paint and i found some green paint like on yours!, i can finally repaint it to the original colour!
mine had a hmv no.4 soundbox and 32 motor, here is a thread about these machines:

[Link Removed]
Was it your photographs that you wanted to show us Kirtley? Or Ians? I cannot find that thread any more but I think your machine sounds great on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Ch-Rr5KaY

It is hard to tell but it sounds like it had a little more "oomph" when Ian tried it with an EMG sound box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO4v99CVu_w

On both recordings am I imagining it or is the motor struggling a bit at the start?

YouTube suggested this Model 32 to me while I was looking which also sounds good and looks very nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMS7qQcZgl4

I think the thing with these late horn machines is that they were unloved at the time and almost cobbled together. This explains the discrepancies even when they left the factory especially in the later ones. Now we can appreciate the sound quality of them but back when they were new I am not sure who was buying them. In the catalogues of the time I think they were the lowest of the low in terms of HMV branded machines.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I removed the link because the website in question promotes cyber-bullying, which we do not support or tolerate here.

Thanks for your understanding.
I can see the point of this but if it stands as official policy can you put it somewhere clearly please so that people know before they post? It seems unfortunate that Kirtley is the first to fall foul of the rule in this way. I have never seen him misbehave or play politics on either forum. He is obviously just here for the gramophones and has never attacked anyone.

I have made my negative views about Mr P and his forum are quite clear in the past and do not intend to bring him up again. Never-the-less I may have linked to a thread over there at some point in the future had I not seen the above post.

I am not criticising or complaining but asking for clarity.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

dd2u wrote: It seems unfortunate that Kirtley is the first to fall foul of the rule in this way. I have never seen him misbehave or play politics on either forum. He is obviously just here for the gramophones and has never attacked anyone.
There was no foul on his behalf, I spoke to him in person to clarify that. It's an unfortunate circumstance, but the proprietor of the aforementioned website has turned a once useful resource for UK collectors into a hate group.

Personal attacks have been made against a multitude of members here for no apparent reason, other than some insane fabricated conspiracy. I consider everyone here a friend, many of you I have met in person at shows and auctions. I don't take attacks against friends lightly.

Places such as that are best left ignored. Without fuel, flames always extinguish themselves.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phono48,

Yes, I see the holes you mention. Actually, if the holes to the left really are the speed indicator holes, they certainly do align better with the turntable edge than the current quadrant.

As to the tonearn looking different. I haven't seen the photo you mention as I do not have the book. However, there is a photo of a machine, with the apparent same cabinet as mine, on the internet and identified as an HMV model 29. It has an older style tonearm with a pivot support.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

JerryVan wrote:Phono48,

Yes, I see the holes you mention. Actually, if the holes to the left really are the speed indicator holes, they certainly do align better with the turntable edge than the current quadrant.

As to the tonearn looking different. I haven't seen the photo you mention as I do not have the book. However, there is a photo of a machine, with the apparent same cabinet as mine, on the internet and identified as an HMV model 29. It has an older style tonearm with a pivot support.
but might it have been possible for these machines to have originally been fitted with different tonearms?,after all, these were never big production models like the 101, sometimes the tracking angle on them is terrible which says to me, there wasn't as much care taken with them as with the "bigger" models, just a guess

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes the 29 was the earlier version of the 'same machine' with the older style tone-arm and Exhibition soundbox.