What model HMV is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

What model HMV is this?

Post by Zwebie »

Could someone please tell me what model HMV this is, and when it was produced?

Thank You, Bob S.
Attachments
HMV.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: What model HMV is this?

Post by Steve »

That's an HMV No.7, the successor to the popular (and over-rated in my humble opinion) "Senior Monarch". It has the same triple-spring motor, brake, speed control, turntable etc as the earlier machines but never attracts the same level of interest. Quite why I'm not sure. Is it too plain for some collectors' tastes? It was the top-of-the-line external horn machine after about 1910-1912 when it was first introduced. The baize platter should be green by the way! ;)

That looks like a fabulous example. I have the same machine in mahogany with mahogany horn. This model has the distinction of being in production for a LONG time after its introduction, being one of 3 models (the others being the No. 2 and 5) that HMV sold well into the 1920's up until about 1925-ish. However, the later models are not as good as this. They skimped on the motors and replaced this quality Victor three spring with the ubiquitous No. 32 double spring. Is that an ivorine plaque I see at the side of the case?

I do like that wonderful glowing honey oak colour, especially with that great horn.

PS. - to add to the confusion HMV re-numbered the later models. From memory I think this became a No. 24? Those collectors with a copy of Proudfoot & Oakley to hand will be able to confirm.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yes, the Oakley/Proudfoot book states that the Model 7 became the Model 24 from July 1922. It also states that from 1921 the No.32 motor was fitted to the mahogany version, whilst the oak version continued with the triple spring. Probably another example of HMV using up obsolete components.

Interesting to see that this example has a smooth horn rather than a fluted one.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Psssst.....now keep this very very quiet and do not share it with a single soul - it is secret, okay? The smooth horns sound much better than the fluted ones! :shock: ;)

My mahogany horn is also smooth. I think the earliest type were smooth and were then superseded by the thicker fluted type? The earlier smooth horns do suffer from distortion in their curvature. The later smooth horns were thicker like the fluted type.