Another "which HMV is this" thread

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
dd2u
Victor I

Another "which HMV is this" thread

Post by dd2u »

Which HMV model is or was this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-ORIGINAL- ... 1073768067

The same seller is also offering a Columbia horn gramophone. Neither machine comes with a horn though the same seller is selling a horn separately.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Another "which HMV is this" thread

Post by Steve »

It's the "Intermediate Monarch" from 1909-1910? After this it became the plain old "No.2" (I prefer the former grander title but there you go!).

It is a criminal shame that gypsypop on Ebay is selling hundreds of G & T and HMV bases without the horns which THEY ALSO OWN! They are clueless as to which horn goes on which base and have refused help by local enthusiastic knowledgable people!

It's absolutely senseless. I will never buy from anyone that awkward as it is Sod's Law that if you buy a base it might be years before they offer the horn and then not before some other collector has swiped it up.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Thank you for yet another helpful answer Steve.

I think I have heard this seller discussed before. What is their motivation? Laziness?

How did they come by so many interesting machines? Is it a lazy dealer or an uninterested inheritor?

If this is the same one I am thinking of they have raised very decent prices on some of the others. Even so I agree with you that it is such a shame to separate machines from their original horns like this. It seems common sense that the machines would fetch more in complete condition but maybe this is not the case.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote:It's the "Intermediate Monarch" from 1909-1910? After this it became the plain old "No.2"
It appears to be a "No. 2" of 1915-192... Look at the speed control.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes, that speed control came in about 1911 but was phased out before 1914, so whilst it is the same machine as the well known Intermediate Monarch, this example on Ebay was 'technically' sold a year or two later and listed in the catalogue as "No. 2", the "Monarch" term being dropped elsewhere throughout the range by this time.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote:Yes, that speed control came in about 1911 but was phased out before 1914, .
Yes, the speed control was replaced c. 1915. But it also has the "Quadrant" brake, used from c. 1915. This could help to narrow down the manufacturing date.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

It seems rude to open yet another thread so I shall post this here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-WIND-UP-G ... 0774120978
$(KGrHqJ,!pgFEVFyJdcbBRN6enRBiQ~~60_58.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!pgFEVFyJdcbBRN6enRBiQ~~60_58.JPG (57.23 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
That is an HMV portable that one does not see everyday!

Here is an HMV portable that one DOES see every day but in exceptional condition:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251235442105
$(KGrHqJ,!jYFEqIBMhm+BRK5Zo84Kw~~60_58.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!jYFEqIBMhm+BRK5Zo84Kw~~60_58.JPG (37.08 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
$(KGrHqF,!n0FD+V+5ZfoBRK5Zhd2BQ~~60_58.JPG
$(KGrHqF,!n0FD+V+5ZfoBRK5Zhd2BQ~~60_58.JPG (50.93 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
With the original box this sold for £460. This is ten pounds more than Howard Hope charged for a near-mint gilt red 101 though that sold in a matter of hours.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Your first picture shows a "Tropical" Model 118 made for the Indian market where it retailed for 145 Rupees. It probably dates from the late 1930's.

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Ah thank you. I wondered what the number was.

Looking more closely at the picture I am surprised by the look of the horn and cannot helping thinking that there may be no horn at all.

No, my mistake. It seems that all 118s look like this and do not have the curved horn back of a 102 but instead have straight and square joins below the mouth of the horn:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 6&start=20