Help! Weekend Find EMG/Expert Minor Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Burtemg
Victor Jr

Re: Help! Weekend Find EMG/Expert Minor Gramophone

Post by Burtemg »

I would glue the horn as good as possible with universal glue or even two compound glue.
Then I would use the horn as a mold and put layers of fiberglass on it to strengthen the horn (inside and out)
Leather paper can then be looked for, a bit of gold painting on the inside and darkbrown paint on the outside...
Buy a good Meltrope reproducer on ebay or even an Orchorsol.(i have a spare one if you like)
I just fixed my sagging horn of a emginn senior yesterday.
Took it in the shower to soften it....Now its as straight as never before and dry after 12 hours.
I guess in the 80 years of existing someone using the gramophone outside leaving it in the rain for a brief moment is enough to get the horn sagged.
I know it sounds stupid but I left my convertible cars open many times in the rain ;)
I just need to do some minor restoration and have to put new leather paper on it...
You can't bake an omelet without braking some eggs !
Just go for it!

dd2u
Victor I

Post by dd2u »

Woe to the collector who attempts an ill advised repair and in further folly attempts to hide it. He will create a monster more hideous than the hunchback of Notre-dam:
emg-08.jpg
emg-08.jpg (182.76 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
This is the second item listed in the following thread and has yet to be sold:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 12&t=11890

If further reinforcement is required after a repair has been attempted then it should be done honestly and in plain sight. A straight metal collar covered with material of a matching colour is preferable to a fibreglass or paper globule. These always make the machine look disfigured or malformed. I would imagine that it is possible to carry out such a repair evenly and professionally to avoid quite such a jarring visible effect but sadly none of the examples I have seen have been executed to such a high standard.

The best of luck with your endeavour. It is wonderful to see one of these machines being brought back from the dead.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The metal collar was my suggestion as well. Probably the easiest fix and completely reversible. The break in the hprn looks re;atively "clean" to me which certainly helps the situation.

Sean

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Steve wrote:I'm having problems with Windows 8. Does anyone think it is the worst operating system Microsoft have ever dumped on the public?
I realize software is off-topic, but yes, Windows 8 is a stinker. I thought Windows ME and Vista were bad enough until this monstrosity arrived. Why does Microsoft have to totally redesign the user interface every few years? When they change it, I can't find anything for a while. When I buy a new car, I don't expect to find the steering wheel in the trunk.

Vista was such a bad joke that I abandoned ship and have been using Linux ever since. Not that Linux is suitable for everybody. Carry on Microsoft, without me!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Thank you for the heads-up! I will definitely bid. Now, I just need to find someone capable of truly fixing this horn. How important is it that the horn be smooth on the inside? Would a slightly raised bump impact sound at all?

Garret

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Would a slightly raised bump impact sound at all?
I seriously doubt it, although this comment might offend a few purists who believe all the perfect exponential curvature theory. However from my own personal listening experience I have found that despite severe constrictions at the 'throat' of the horn caused by sagging horns turning the normally perfect circular cross-sections into more of an oval shape, these horns do not sound any different.