Help! Weekend Find EMG/Expert Minor Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Help! Weekend Find EMG/Expert Minor Gramophone

Post by Garret »

Hello across the Pond!

I have finally joined the British collecting world, in a sense! As some of you know, I have been waiting, hoping, waiting, and searching for a long time to find an EMG/Expert gramophone, and I finally did down in North Carolina. Please see the pictures below. Judging from the horn opening of 18", and the lack of an EMG tag, I think this is an Expert Minor. The motor is a Garrard. The cabinet needs some work, the soundbox is missing, and the horn is in two. Thus, the questions.

1. Is this an EMG or an Expert? Is it a Minor, and from what year is it?
2. Is there a best way to repair the horn? An expert conservator suggested metal shims and sturdy cardstock, with inpainted applique. Is there anyone that fixes these without breaking the bank?
2. Where can one find a soundbox?

Any information you can give me, or advice you can offer, is greatly appreciated! Feel free to message me at: garret.girmus "at" gmail.com

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Help! Weekend Find EMG/Expert Minor Gramophone

Post by Steve »

Garret, it's an Expert Minor and beyond saying it was made between 1931 and 1939 I can't date it specifically.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Are you certain that motor is a Garrard? Everything about it ant the speed control look Swiss to me.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

It's unfortunate that the horn is broken where it needs its most strength. I agree with your conservator and maybe it is a D.I.Y. job. Frank James over here is the man to do this but whether the transport costs back and forth would make this worthwhile I couldn't say.

The soundboxes do turn up on Ebay from time to time. Expect to pay between $400-600 for a good condition 2 spring Expert. The Minor normally came with this type and not the 4 spring. The latter could set you back as much as $1000!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Comment removed
Last edited by Steve on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

(removed for clarity)
Last edited by estott on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Estott, it is definitely not a Garrard motor and a looks like a Paillard GGR 255 by look of it. They are fantastic little motors.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I have been trying to edit my post since I put it here to say it is NOT a Garrard but a Paillard. It has finally accepted my edit. I now see it is a GGR 255 as I initially thought however my brain scrambled the info that the 255 was a Garrard for a few minutes! No, the 255 is a Paillard so yes, estott you were right to correct Garret.

I'm having problems with Windows 8. Does anyone think it is the worst operating system Microsoft have ever dumped on the public?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Agreed, this will be a very difficult repair and I would think, in order to give it enough structural strength, the eternal shape will never look right - it will be necessary to bulge out somewhat to incorporate some kind of bracing. Or otherwise, sleeve it with a wide metal band or something? The really important thing is for the internal transition at the repair to be as smooth and progressive as it originally was, to the original dimensions, as well as the obvious structural requirements.

Very difficult when they're broken clean off like that - one of the reasons behind Graham's fantastic EMGCR project, as there are machines around with broken or incorrect/mismatched horns.

Soundboxes - as mentioned in a PM, a Meltrope would be a really good option - especially with this being a Minor, as the full benefit of an original Expert soundbox will probably be less advantageous than if it were a Junior or Senior.
Steve wrote:I'm having problems with Windows 8. Does anyone think it is the worst operating system Microsoft have ever dumped on the public?
YES!!! Even worse than Vista!!!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

I'd go with a one piece metal sleeve, you could have it made to order and put a flange in the back to be closed with small bolts and nuts. If you paint it to match the metal part of the horn it won't be obvious. If you just use a fitted sleeve and pressure to support it there will be no need for glue or other materials that are hard to reverse.